Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I sent a gift & got no response...what to think?

Been thinking about this for a while. Asked my DIL if it was ok for me to make clothes for their twin daughters (now aged 6). She said if depended on how I did it - she wouldn't let them out of the house in something crocheted. She'd also been sniffy about crocheted blankets I'd made for the girls, and some pillow covers I'd sewn. Guess what - I decided not to make clothes for the girls. But I am planning to make quilts for the girls - for when they stay with me!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Late answering this. But you are not alone. I sent a teddy bear quilt to my granddaughter for her newborn baby boy and I never received an answer back whether she received it or not. So I asked her on Facebook and still no reply. It would be nice to know if she received it or not because lately there has been reported lost or stolen items thru the mail system. I didn't even get a thank you card. So I decided that would be the end of that. Case closed! I am 75 years old and no way would I ever treat my parents or anybody this way.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

We were just talking about this subject at lunch today. Lack of manners. I sent a very expensive gift to a friends son and bride for their wedding (small wedding) because she is a very good friend. Never got a thank you note and it's been over 2 yrs. I would not send anything else like a quilt to anyone who didn't acknowledge it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    My worst experience with this was about 20 years ago. When my kids were small and money was tight (as usual) My cousin had a baby girl and I had promised at my sons christening that when she had a girl I would make the outfit for her. Well she had a girl it was right after my mom passed away. I got the invitation with a little note saying she hoped I would keep my promise of the gown. So I made a beautiful 36 inch length sheer reembroidered lace organza over satin gown. It was border fabric so I needed more as the bottom of the dress the bottom of the puff sleeves and the bonnet edges all came from the edging. It had a matching slip with lots of lace and ribbons on the whole outfit. I also made matching satin slippers for her feet. so 4 pieces, dress, slip, bonnet and slippers. Hubby took the time off work to take me up (she lived upstate at the time a 2 hour ride.)
    We arrived at her house the outfit was snatched from my hands no thank you, the baby dressed and all were told to follow them to the church. The baby was christened, we went to a hall for a buffet after and the baby was stripped from the outfit. I was never given a thank you, a chance to see the baby up close in the outfit , nor hold the baby and have pictures . We left soon after that and I think i altered between tears , hurt, and anger all the way home. We have not seen that cousin since. 20 years ago reembroidered organza started at around 15 bucks a yard , I had 3 yards of that plus everything else. I wish I had a picture. It was similar to this one with matching slip and booties.Attachment 75840
    Hands down, the worst story I've heard to date...
    Sorry, but this one tops the oil change story.
    A Christening Dress with embroidered organza?
    And never a true acknowledgement??
    SICK. Just SICK.
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have worked to teach my children to be gracious, and to always acknowledge gifts. I hope they do as they grow. It is so hurtful when others do not acknowledge what you do . I had a friend once re-gift a table runner I made for her at an event she knew I was at. No more for her.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Gifts made by hand should definitely receive a thank-you. I like to think when I make a gift it brings a sense of joy to the person and makes them feel special. Why else do we do it. Only give to those who appreciate the hard work you have done.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

With everyone constantly on their phones and/or computers you would think they would shoot a quick Thank You or at least let you know a gift arrived but NO! I've put family on notice if they don't acknowledge a Bday gift this year next year they get just a card. Add to that the ones who don't cash the Bday checks we send them. Guess they have plenty of money and don't need our paltry $50 bucks so we'll keep it for ourselves.

Each September DH gives grandkids in college a check for 'incidentals' throughout the year and 2 DGD's have had to be reminded to deposit them into their checking accounts - hey the checks were for 1,000. Told him to stop doing it for those 2 or at least cut the amount down as they don't seem to need the money.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; May 21st, 2014 at 09:48 AM.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

If I send a quilt I send it with a proof of delivery request. (just to make sure it is delivered) If it guilts someone into acknowledging my gift so be it. If I do not hear from the recipient they probably will not be receiving anything I spend time on to make for them. For smaller items I will usually blow it off.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    If I sent a gift and did not receive an acknowledgement of some sort, I would contact them and ask directly if they recieved it and if they did, ask why they chose to not let you know.....
    This is what I do, then I politely tell them that I love it when I know someone is grateful and I just can't resist a grateful person. Just for future reference. Then if the behavior continues the gifts diminish until they are just a card for the event. People are just too important to me to completely write off, no matter how backward they are in social skills. However those that are grateful reap the rewards and happily display the treasures they receive leaving the ungrateful puzzled.....
    ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~Debbie~♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    -:- Circumstances, often you can’t change them. It’s about choice. Some people say “under the circumstances”. I choose to be “on top of the circumstances.” -:-

Pinterest

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by estrogen View Post
    We were just talking about this subject at lunch today. Lack of manners. I sent a very expensive gift to a friends son and bride for their wedding (small wedding) because she is a very good friend. Never got a thank you note and it's been over 2 yrs. I would not send anything else like a quilt to anyone who didn't acknowledge it.
    When I go to bridal and wedding showers I always tuck a sheet of stamps in the card that accompanies the gift, with a sticky note that's says, here's to help you with your thank you notes ;-) some times that works but not always.
    ♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪ ~Debbie~♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
    -:- Circumstances, often you can’t change them. It’s about choice. Some people say “under the circumstances”. I choose to be “on top of the circumstances.” -:-

Pinterest