Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Quilts!!!

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Quilts!!!

I stumbled across Jenny from MSQC's YouTube videos in January and was instantly addicted! I thought I had discovered a secret gem no one knew about...obviously it took me about 10 seconds to realize that I was the one who had been living i the dark this whole time!! Ive been self taught sewing for about 16 years and was always incredibly intimidated at the idea of making something as intricate as quilt. Her tutorials and personality were so friendly and approachable I instantly thought- ok I might actually be able to do this!
    Being a stay at home mom on a tight budget, fabric and supplies are at the bottom of the priorities list, but I really wanted to try this out. So my plan was to give my mom my first quilt as a mothers day gift because she always so supportive of my sewing. And if i could survive my first one, Id make my mother in law one too. So after months of careful internet sale scouring I had finally acquired all my materials and was ready to start!
    It took a few weeks but I pulled them both off. Needless to say it was much easier and much harder than I had imagined, if that makes any sense.. But im very proud of the turnout overall, and after delivering them to my moms today- I wanted to show them off here, where I was inspired (and even felt supported) by the amazing Jenny at MSQC!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firstquilt.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	75680 an Amy Butler Lark D9P for mom
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	secondquilt.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	75681 a red and white wonky star for mom in law

I am totally addicted! and couldn't have done it without MSQC and their very user friendly welcoming tutorals! I learned so much and cant wait to make more!! I hope to pass this love onto my daughter one day, and to create new family treasures that can be passed on. Shes right- every quilt DOES tell a story and a journey. And these two started a new much loved path for me.
    Thank you so much...they loved them and so did I
    Patty

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: First Quilts!!!

Welcome to the best forum on the net Patty! And I do believe you are hooked! Come back often and share your beautiful creations...because they are just that...beautiful! We love seeing everyone's creations...and you will love it too!
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Patty,

Welcome from mid-Missouri. Both your quilts are fantastic. You did a great job. I'm sure both of the moms who received them will treasure them for ever. What a great daughter and daughter-in-law you are.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you! It really is the best forum! I had asked a Prewash question a few weeks ago and instantly got several friendly and helpful answers.
    Sadly I went into a local quilt shop here in ft lauderdale and was NOT met with the same open arms
    I was told I should stop making a quilt top on my own without having taken a beginning to quilting class. And that I was going to make mistakes and learn bad habits. I felt a little discouraged but then thought is been having my own one on one classes with MSQC - so I COULD go on. I know they weren't "technically perfect" but as I feel in my other sewing projects- that's what makes them mine! And I learn something new every time I turn my machine on

So glad to have this forum to turn to in the future!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilts look great! There's nothing wrong with venturing on your own and asking questions when you need to. There is so much information online. There's no reason why you can't do this on your own. In my experience though, it is nice to have instruction in a classroom setting. You can ask questions and pick up tips from other quilters and make new friends who share a common interest.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Patty, welcome to the best quilt forum on the net. So glad you found Jenny and this forum. Your quilts turned out beautifully. Can't wait to see what else you create. Feel free to jump in here any time.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, welcome! So many of us were inspired by Jenny's user friendly tutorials, the problem soon becomes which one to do?? LOL
    Quilts may come, and quilts may go, but the stitches stay the same.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats - you have been bitten! You did a great job, they are beautiful. Giving quilts as gifts is great on a budget - you can support your habit and buy the gift at the same time!
    Donna

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Australia Patty. Your quilts are lovely, well done of the first 2 of many to come. I had made a couple of small quilts from Jenny's tutorials before I had a quilting lesson locally. I learnt some tips from doing those classes. Then again classes are not within everybody's budget.
    ​Robyn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Patty, those are just beautiful! It is addictive and I will look forward to seeing more of your quilts. Glad you found Jenny and the forum!