What sewing machine is good for a 7 yr old girl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fun2bweis
    Beginning Stitcher
    • Mar 2014

What sewing machine is good for a 7 yr old girl?

My 7 yr old great niece wants to learn to sew but I'm not sure what sewing machine would be best for her to begin with. I've read some post either here or on FaceBook recently about a great kids sewing machine (not the Hello Kitty one) but can't seem to find where I saw the post. I was thinking it was a Brother machine but then again not sure. Her mother would love to buy her a sewing machine so they could have some mother-daughter sewing time but wants to make sure it would be safe for a young girl since her machine and my machine don't have slow down speeds on them. Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions that I can pass along to my niece.
  • Hulamoon
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: What sewing machine is good for a 7 yr old girl?

I have some high end machines, but one of my favorites is a Brother machine I bought at Walmart. I wanted to do Shirring and computerized machines don't take to that very well. You can make the coolest tops and dresses for summer doing the shirring.
    My dd didn't want to model. lol
    P1014633.JPG

Child sized

green1.JPG

Here is a better one.

P1014639.jpg
    Last edited by Hulamoon; May 11, 2014, 03:50 PM.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Slokarma
      Missouri Star
      • Feb 2012

Those tops are absolutely darling! and so is your DD. LOVELY!

Comment

• Slokarma
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2012

They do sell foot guards to put on feet to keep those little fingers a bit safer. I have a basic Singer one of the feet came with a foot guard.

Originally posted by fun2bweis View Post
        My 7 yr old great niece wants to learn to sew but I'm not sure what sewing machine would be best for her to begin with. I've read some post either here or on FaceBook recently about a great kids sewing machine (not the Hello Kitty one) but can't seem to find where I saw the post. I was thinking it was a Brother machine but then again not sure. Her mother would love to buy her a sewing machine so they could have some mother-daughter sewing time but wants to make sure it would be safe for a young girl since her machine and my machine don't have slow down speeds on them. Thanks in advance for advice and suggestions that I can pass along to my niece.

Comment

• fun2bweis
          Beginning Stitcher
          • Mar 2014

Thanks for the info. I didn't know they sold foot guards for the machines so I will pass that info along to her mother.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

I have a Hello Kitty Janome that I taught my granddaughter to use at age 7. It is a solid machine, sews through anything, just teach the proper machine routine and safety and she could make anything with it. There is a clone, the Janome 3128 that is the exact same machine that Hancock sells for $99 on sale. I threw away two toy machines that wouldn't sew a stitch, don't waste your money on them, or the "mini" machines.

image.jpg
            Granddaughter age 7 on the green Hello Kitty, grandson age 8 on the Janome 3128.

image.jpg
            I took the 3128 to Oregon and made this heavy upholstered cushion cover for my sister's house with it, it went through the 4 layers of fabric without breaking a sweat ( or a needle!)
            Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 11, 2014, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• bubba
              Missouri Star
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
              I have a Hello Kitty Janome that I taught my granddaughter to use at age 7. It is a solid machine, sews through anything, just teach the proper machine routine and safety and she could make anything with it. There is a clone, the Janome 3128 that is the exact same machine that Hancock sells for $99 on sale. I threw away two toy machines that wouldn't sew a stitch, don't waste your money on them, or the "mini" machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75658[/ATTACH]
              Granddaughter age 7 on the green Hello Kitty, grandson age 8 on the Janome 3128.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75659[/ATTACH]
              I took the 3128 to Oregon and made this heavy upholstered cushion cover for my sister's house with it, it went through the 4 layers of fabric without breaking a sweat ( or a needle!)
              Is that machines name 'Teddy'?
              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• Lissau
                The Guild President
                • Jan 2013

The Crafty Gemini bought her son Jonathon a machine 2 yrs ago he was 3 yrs old and he wanted to learn to sew here is her video

In this video I share with you some tips and ideas that I am implementing as I teach my 3 yr old son to use the sewing machine he got for Christmas. My son's...

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Lissau View Post
                  The Crafty Gemini bought her son Jonathon a machine 2 yrs ago he was 3 yrs old and he wanted to learn to sew here is her video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8nDdgt5lq0
                  That machine is the Kenmore version of the two Janome machines I bought for my grandkids. Isn't that video just the most darling thing you've ever seen?

Comment

• Iris Girl
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2013

I learned to sew when I was 5 and I sewed on my mothers kenmore. I would say it depends on the child and how responsible they are whether you put them on a full size machine or get a smaller version. Under supervision I see no issues on a regular machine. When I learned to sew there was no needle guards and things like that. I was just taught to use it responsibly.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Hulamoon
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2012

To go back that far I was taught by one of my grandmothers on a White at around six. My mom got me a Kenmore about eight for Christmas. I agree with April, it's learning to be responsible. I taught my girls to use a box cutter and rulers really early for school projects.
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

• Dragonfly
                        The Guild President
                        • Aug 2010

My 8 year old granddaughter has been sewing on my Pfaff 7570 for a couple years without any drama, it has a go slow button but we have never needed to use it. The hardest part is finding something stable and the right height for her short little legs to reach the pedal. The only thing I still do for her is the rotary cutting, her mother prefers her to keep all her cute little fingers.
                        Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

• fun2bweis
                          Beginning Stitcher
                          • Mar 2014

Thanks to everyone for the information you have given me to pass along to my niece. Looks like based on what everyone has mentioned the Janome/Kenmore is a good starter one but at the same time she could learn on mine or her mother's even though both of our machines don't have a slow speed. I do see where my great niece might have some trouble touching the peddle due to her legs being short but we could put her on a small table with chair. I appreciate you all taking the time to let me know what machines you have used with your granddaughter's, daughters, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X