The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Printed Quilt Label

Thanks, I gotta try this!
    Mary

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the information I will use it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I did this last week for the first time and it worked great! The only difference I did was no starch, and I used only one piece of freezer paper. No problems. Also, to save on material, I places four different labels for my next four quilts on to the sheet, so I only had to print up once. Such a great clean look it gives to the labels!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I've done the same, no starch beforehand (I did iron it with steam to make it as wrinklefree as possible) and one sheet of freezer paper. If you use only black ink, it should be fine after you heat set it with the iron. But I understand that certain colors will wash out or fade (especially red/pink) due to the nature of the ink jet dyes. I made my own bubble jet solution that is supposed to help prevented fading. You can google that, there is a good tutorial out there for it. I decided to set my label in the corner of the quilt (I use a glue stick to hold the label in place) and stitch the binding over it. Starch the label (I cut mine into a right triangle,) press the long diagonal edge under a quarter inch, match the two raw edges to the raw edges of the quilt. Blind stitch the long edge with matching thread, then bind the quilt as you normally do. I looks so nice when it is done!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
    Thank you so much for these clear and easy instructions!
    You are very welcome!

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I make (print) about 150 quilt labels every year, and in my experience, the ink will rinse right out (off) these labels unless you use a product called Bubble Jet Set on the fabric first. Ironing does not "set" the ink, and I've tried homemade variations of this product and they don't work either. I've used both HP and Epson printers, and the ink has rinsed out of the labels made by both printers if I don't use the Bubble Jet Set first.

I've looked, and I don't see that M* sells it, so I will tell you that the best price I have found has been on Amazon. My LQS sells it for TWICE the price that I can get it online, so shop around. Also, if you google the product, you will find that Jenkins has a great deal of info on how to print labels.

Perhaps your printer will work, but I would test it first by rinsing it (run it under water) and drying it before attaching it permanently to a quilt. Good luck.

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I found that if you soak your fabric in vinegar after you print on it will help the ink set. I did one and did not soak it, when i was washed the quilt, the ink washed out. Just a thought.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the Vinegar tip! I will try that before purchasing e Bubble Jet Set...it's much cheaper

Fannie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just Googled Bubble Jet Set and lots of recipes came up. Has any of you tried them?

Fannie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know in pinch...but...I bought the package of fabric paper at Joann's ..reg $9.99 and I used 50% off coupon and got 10 sheets (8x10) of fabric paper for $5. I used one sheet to make 2 larger labels, and 3 times, another sheet for 3 smaller labels. I tape the top of the fabric paper to the top of a regular piece of printer paper and then just put it through as normal. Prints perfectly. Now that I know the deal.. I will figure the measurements to make 4 labels from one sheet of fabric paper. Don't get any cheaper than that!