Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: I tried it!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I tried it!

A while ago someone on the Forum directed us to a link on how to sandwich a large quilt on a small table. I thought it looked promising so I just tried it. I'm happy to say it works really well. I had some wooden dowels left over from a quilt hanging project so I used them instead of skewers. They are larger than a skewer which makes them easier to feel under the layers and I didn't have to sand off any points. I used a couple of my quilting rulers to find the center of the table and I drew cross lines with permanent marker on the table so I don't have to find the center each time I sandwich a quilt. I can just tape the skewers in place each time. She used a lot more tape than I did. I don't think all that tape is necessary. I only have four clamps. She suggests six but I think the four I used are sufficient. I took each part of the sandwich and folded it in quarters and pressed in a crease. It's also easier to position each layer if they are quartered first. It really didn't take very long to center the layers. Now to get busy pinning! Yuck!

Here's the link in case you haven't seen it and are interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnke_KzeTI8
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 7th, 2014 at 09:21 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

2. Thanks Blondie, Michelle M thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I tried it!

I so happy to hear you tried it because I was one who posted it

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like that idea! Missed it when Hulamoon posted it ... happy to find it now.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use that method all the time now. Makes it so much easier!!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you reposted the link, I didn't see it before! I am looking forward to trying it this way!
    May your day be blessed.

Shea Michelle

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy Needham uses a similar method, but tapes a safety pin in the centers of the edge and center of the table. I used a straight pin and just left it in place when done with the table. It can be easily removed if necessary. I also use squeeze clamps (borrowed from my husbands workshop), they work great and no need to go buy more paper binder clips.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using this method to baste the queen size quilt I'm making my daughter right now. I'm using a tiny 24"x40" table and it is working well! I had to start over because when I quartered my backing I forgot one half of my pieced backing was 6" wider than the other half - including my centre pieced strip - so it threw everything off with my quilt top. Of course I was almost done pinning when I noticed.....oh well! Hopefully i cam start quilting tomorrow afternoon . Thanks for posting this link Rebecca!

Terri

UN-Biased

Washington State, The Beautiful Columbia Gorge area.
    Post Thanks / Like

Great advise. I have a mystery quilt to sand which. Going to a free motion class tomorrow, can't wait. Can't wait to try it on the smaller projects. Thanks for posting.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is the method my sister and I use - and we would swear by it if asked to! I also follow Cindy Needham's advice to "stitch (in the ditch) every stinkin' seam", although I admit to not following it exactly. I do SITD all the blocks, and if necessary, some of the other seams.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar