Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spray basting with Elmers glue using Misto bottle

Haven't tried this yet myself, but it looks like a clever inexpensive idea that is also good for the environment and your health

SOQ - Glue Basting A Quilt - Part 1 - YouTube

mixing glue in misto spray bottle

SOQ - Glue Basting A Quilt - Part 1 - YouTube

applying to quilt sandwich

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spray basting with Elmers glue using Misto bottle

I think it would probably be fine for smaller projects but I have a similar mister and it has to be pumped quite frequently. I think I would get really tired of the process if trying to do a large quilt. I wonder if it would work to roll it on with a foam paint roller. It would certainly go on evenly that way and it would cover in a very short time. If the glue is that thin I don't think the roller would stick to the batting especially if it's anchored to the table with clamps. If it works it would also eliminate that problem of overspray. Food for thought. I certainly like the fact that it is a healthier product to use for one's lungs which is always a concern using any kind of spray-on product.

As to her video, ay yi yi!!! I wonder if she bothered to even watch the video before posting it. I think I would've done a complete retake and been a little better prepared. Sorry to be a critic but this one was really grating on my nerves. Lots of fast forwarding to get to the important parts.

After some discussion with Joe about this idea he looked at me and said, "I think I'd just use the basting spray." hahaha
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the video is not the greatest. In fact, I might label it horrible. Anyway...

If the basting spray works for you and you can afford it, that's great. I really balked at paying nearly $25 for the stuff! But, I was happy at first, despite the cost. The disaster that was my second spray basting experience totally negated my first positive experience.

Yes, you have to pump the Misto pretty often. I was able to get a section about a foot wide (maybe a little more) across the width of the quilt before I had to pump it up again. My quilt was about 55 inches wide.

Before I saw the Misto video, I was planning to daub it on with a natural sponge - because it's got a rough, random texture to it. I think that sort of application would work great. Rolling the stuff on might be too much. A lot of people just dribble it out of the bottle, just like it comes from the store. But, I felt that might make impenetrable globs here and there and would use too much glue.

Before I found this method, I would sit for hours and chop Stitch Witchery up into a tiny little dice and sprinkle those bits over the batting and iron the quilt top and backing on that way. That works really, really well. But, it's majorly time-consuming. I think I'm going to like the glue better.

But, time - and a few more quilts - will tell.
    Last edited by sassygranny; May 15th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just wondering if the glue won't clog up your needle. Anyone experienced any problems with that?
    Otherwise it sure would be a more affordable option...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat77 View Post
    I'm just wondering if the glue won't clog up your needle. Anyone experienced any problems with that?
    Otherwise it sure would be a more affordable option...
    I have used the washable Elmers school glue for other quilt applications, like binding, temporarily attaching a hanging sleeve until I can hand sew it down, and applique. I always make sure I have thoroughly dried it with my iron. I have never had problems with it clogging up my needle.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I might do a test next time I'm home. If it works out with the roller idea I'll let you know. I'd probably use one of the smaller rollers. I think it would be more manageable and clean-up would be a lot easier. Also, I would use a container with a wide mouth to mix the glue to eliminate the funnel. I'd probably do the mixing in a jar with a top that has measurements on it so I could get a recipe for the glue. I like accuracy and consistency. Playing around with the mix doesn't work for me.

It hasn't been too bad buying the spray since I always use a 40% off coupon or wait until it's on sale. Not everyone has that option unfortunately. However, I don't have any issue with pin basting so I don't use the spray very often. I find it most useful for small projects so a can goes a long way for me. I wonder how many lap quilts can be sprayed with one can?
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; May 16th, 2014 at 04:31 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what an annoying video and all that time trying to get your mix to the right consistency and then ,make your misto work. By that time I would be exhausted and or so frustrated I wouldn't be able to do anything. Give me my nice table and my tin of pins. No mess no fuss and done quickly and efficiently.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had absolutely no skipping/breaking, etc., from the glue. I was holding my breath, because just the opposite was true for me wiuth the 505. As we all know, every machine/thread combo is different. I use polyester embroidery thread (because it's pretty and because I have hundreds of spools of it!) and it works well in my Juki with this method.

I had no issues with mixing the stuff. A quick 50/50 in a mason jar, a few shakes...and I'm done. The biggest value of that entire video was the mister. I was only vaguely aware they existed. I was stunned when I found them online and realized how inexpensive they are. So, that pushed me to experiment. Glad I did!

Isn't it great that there are so many approaches to getting the end result? That's part of the fun.