Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Granddaughters Sewing Machine Birthday

My Granddaughter will be 10 on May 22nd and let me know a month ago that she wants a sewing machine for her birthday. So I am giving her my Baby Lock Intrigue that I dearly love and purchased for classses. She sewed on it on her last visit and loved it as well. Since her Mum doesn't sew I have been gathering everything else that she needs to go with it.
    She finished her first large lap quilt when she was 8 and has been to MSQC with me (from Florida!) and hopefully she'll not forget the road trip with Grandma. She took her quilt top to Missouri and Jenny helped her choose the backing fabric. She has watched 'Miss Jenny', 'Miss Natalie' and 'Miss Sarah' tutorials since she was 5 and even has their app on her tablet.
    I have been going thru my sewing supplies and sorted out any duplicates including a Natalie Dawn Half hexi template to use with charm pack size squares. It sure takes a lot of stuff to get her set up at home (in Georgia).
    I still need markers (Frixion, Chalk, etc), iron (even a second hand one), maybe a 9.5" square ruler... Just making a list.
    Anyway, just wanted to share what I am doing to help the next generation of 'Makers'!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Granddaughters Sewing Machine Birthday

That's awesome! I think she will cherish it. It is great that she is wanting to sew and you have the ability to help get her started.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a FANTASTIC birthday gift! What a lucky girl!
    Piecing on Bernina 820
    Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
    My Blog "Peachy Pages".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sew exciting. I was happy to read this as I have decided to purchase a machine for my granddaughter in July, she will be 9. I never thought about putting together a kit as well - great idea. I certainly have plenty of charms for her to choose from. I will have her make something small to begin with, she has never used a machine. It will all stay at my house as she is with me half the week, including all day Saturday. I cannot wait.

Let us know her reaction when she gets it - pic would be good lol.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great gift

Have you checked the "I don't want it, you can have it" group, maybe there is something there she can use.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I taught her was maintenence - how to thread the machine, fill a bobbin, change needles, clean dust under bobbin (I work a full time job and I cannot be there all the time when she is visiting). I get here set up and walk out of the room, she doesn't like anyone looking over her shoulder when she's sewing.
    She has a small stash drawer at my house that I'll have to take to her. I need to get more fabric choices for her to experiment with. She says "sewing is easy peasy"! I am still deciding if she is responsible enough to give her a rotory cutter and matt. Fiskers makes Jr size sissors (purple handles her fav color) that I got for her.

7. Thanks Lzrdlz thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

This is wonderful!! My Grandmother purchased my first sewing machine too! It was the most cherished for years and later passed down to first daughter. I sewed my very first quilt on that little machine years and years ago. Grandma was from the "old school" that you made all of your own clothes and quilts. I could always pick out her dresses in her quilts. I am blessed to have 6 of her quilts. She quilted till she was in her late 80's and stopped when her eye sight started to fail.

I later purchased a Bernina and made my living on it when the kids were small. We would do craft shows and all of the craziness that went along with it. That Bernina sat in my laundry room for years with only being used once in a while if I had too. Seemed like when I went to work full time there was never any time for sewing. Well, last fall I lost my job and like magic the sewing and quilting all started again. Fortunately, I was a fabric hoarder back then and was able to make a few quilts from that old fabric. Since Christmas I have made 11 quilts. This time it was my Mother who was shopping for a new sewing machine and took me along with her. Needless to say we walked out with 2 new Jamone 8900 sewing machines. I love love love the new machine. I never thought that I would ever buy anything other than a Bernina. Well I was so wrong, for the price, it is an excellent machine.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!! LOL
    (I am venturing out and actually asking questions and not just lurking)

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

No I didn't know about it, is it here?
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyequilter View Post
    Great gift

Have you checked the "I don't want it, you can have it" group, maybe there is something there she can use.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd leave her with the scissors for a bit or even leave it up to mom & dad to get her a rotary cutter, when she's ready.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    No I didn't know about it, is it here?
    Thanks!
    Yes it's a group on here.