Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Post Howdy everyone! New Member

HI My name is Trina, novice and looking at starting to Quilt. OMG!! I finally get to stay at home and enjoy life. Rainy days I wanna Quilt. I got my new sewing machine and I am in need for a list of what to purchase. Anyone have a list to share?

The tutorials are awesome.

LOOKING forward to my new hobby especially on them rainy days and the videos are awesome, inspirational tools.

Thank you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Howdy everyone! New Member

Welcome Trina!

What to buy? Well you will need a rotary cutter and a mat, and several quilters rulers. Many people start off with a 12 by 24" mat and a 6" by 24" ruler. You will also need a square up ruler, they come in various sizes, maybe start with an 8-1/2" or 9-1/2" square one. You also will need good fabric scissors, and probably a seam ripper to undo mistakes. We call it frogging, because you rippit, rippit! You will need thread. Most piecers use a white, cream or grey thread for piecing. You will also need a steam iron and ironing board. A lot of quilters use a spray starch when ironing their blocks, I use Mary Ellen's Best Press, it comes in a pump spray botle that can be refilled. You will also need straight pins. The best are the 2" long flower head pins, very sharp! Don't mess with those 1" dressmakers pins!

Does your machine have a walking foot? If not, you will probably want to invest in one. Some machines have built in walking feet, Pfaff and some Janomes. Depending on your machine, they can be about $30 or very expensive.

That should get you going!

And of course, YOU NEED FABRIC!
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; May 3rd, 2014 at 11:30 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jean, that is a perfect list. We could probably do most of what we do with those items.

Welcome tmkerzman. Stay with the forum and we will have you addicted in no time. It is so much fun!
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Howdy everyone! New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Welcome Trina!

What to buy? Well you will need a rotary cutter and a mat, and several quilters rulers. Many people start off with a 12 by 24" mat and a 6" by 24" ruler. You will also need a square up ruler, they come in various sizes, maybe start with an 8-1/2" or 9-1/2" square one. You also will need good fabric scissors, and probably a seam ripper to undo mistakes. We call it frogging, because you rippit, rippit! You will need thread. Most piecers use a white, cream or grey thread for piecing. You will also need a steam iron and ironing board. A lot of quilters use a spray starch when ironing their blocks, I use Mary Ellen's Best Press, it comes in a pump spray botle that can be refilled. You will also need straight pins. The best are the 2" long flower head pins, very sharp! Don't mess with those 1" dressmakers pins!

Does your machine have a walking foot? If not, you will probably want to invest in one. Some machines have built in walking feet, Pfaff and some Janomes. Depending on your machine, they can be about $30 or very expensive.

That should get you going!

And of course, YOU NEED FABRIC!

Thank you, What about brands on the cutters, recommendation? I do have walking foot machine by Janomes, did that right. Wow; Seam Ripper, your funny, mistakes I probably need a dozen of them. Sewed years ago, but need to update myself. I appreciate your suggestions.

Trina

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Karen,
    Be nice to get addicted!!!!.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

On the cutters, Olfa is good, they have one with an aqua handle that is designed to make blade changing easy. Be really careful with those rotary cutters,they are really sharp and can be dangerous. You can get protective gloves to wear when cutting if you are fearful! But fiskars and others are fine too. Some cutters have blade covers that are safer. The 45mm is most versatile size to get. You can do most of anything with a 45mm cutter.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see it mentioned but I would also include a 1/4 " foot as a must. It helps soooo much with the 1/4" seams!
    Welcome from California - we're glad you are joining us. : )
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to our addiction from Florida!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from Massachusetts. I don't have much to add to the list but some items like rulers and cutting mats you might be able to find on overstock.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!!! There is a lot of great advice here. You will love it :-)