Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Suggestions: Getting those points to match!

Hi, I love to sew & quilt but my technique needs some refining tips from other quilters....beginning w/ cutting the fabric-do you cut exactly on the line or scoot the ruler a smidge to be sure the fabric gets cut exactly on the line? And then the famous 1/4" seam-at 1/4" my blocks come a bit small so I'm sewing a "scant" 1/4" lately. I'd like a tried & true methodology so I get the exact results on each block/project! Regards, Sadie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Suggestions: Getting those points to match!

Sadie.... I'm the worst to ask about "perfection"....(in quilting anyway).. BUT I suggest,,, whatever method you find that gives you the result you love and looks good to you.... STAY WITH IT... ie... whatever you use as "your 1/4" ,,be sure to use that for the whole quilt..lots of people forget about that (ahem,,, me LOL)... for me... if I'm going to piece I have to do it all in one sitting or I'm all over the place... just my personality)...the same with cutting.. and stitch length, pressing..and thread..sounds too simple,, but it's true..
    The gals here can guide you better, but allow yourself a little enjoyment,, go with it and see how good you get!! Enjoy... GB
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

3. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut on the line, no scootching. What ever your 1/4" is as long as it is consistent is the key. Generally if you sew with a scant 1/4", you have a little more room for squaring up. Don't put so much pressure on yourself. Enjoy the process, don't worry about it.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

5. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a stickler for points. One thing I found, and when I first started using them, hated it, was the Marti Michell templates. They come out perfect almost everytime!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

7. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My points do not come out well. I am sad about that. Now I try to avoid them. At some point (ha ha) I am going to do paper piecing as I understand that pretty much guarantees pointed points.

Marci

9. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Also, making sure that your seams are pressed in opposite directions helps them to nest together and bring your points together, and if you have several points converging, I recommend the seam swirl method. If you good swirl seams you can find any number of tutorials on how to do it, but Eleanor Burns is one I could recommend you try. It helps to make all the seams lay flatter and thus produce a better point.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

11. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There are several 1/4" markers for sewing machines that will help measure where your needle comes down. Dritz (from Joann's) is just one. That has a ruler with holes in it to help "set" your needle position, and comes with a sticky fat pad that you can move from machine to machine.

Also watch when you are using your 1/4" foot, pin, pin and the more you make, the better they become. My first ones were awful errr even the ones I make now aren't perfect, but they have come a long way ;-)

You are the only one that will SEE they are off - the folks you make them for LOVE what you are giving them (and most don't know sewing), and will not look like we do at our own little error's. Marliyn's right, we are too critical on our own stuff so do your best and enjoy the making without worrying over every tiny point
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

13. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.... Not familiar w/ them, I'll check them out....and let you know!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you HdWench. I do think they're getting better... But not always! My family does LOVE the quilts I make them- points matching perfectly or not.