Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tumbler quilt help?

I have started this tumbler quilt. Have not sewn the rows together yet. Number one problem is I think it's too small. I am going to do a few elephant appliqués on it. I also think it is too busy. I have some solid pale pink and a dark purple and of course there's always white. Some thoughts I have had are, just border to enlarge, add rows of the pink and purple(either strips or tumblers) or take apart a few and add pink and purple throughout or add white tumblers.
    Help?!? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	74021
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tumbler quilt help?

What is the size right now? The smallest quilt I have made is 44" square.
    If you feel that it is too busy (I think it looks cute - love the dots fabric. I bought that same FQ bundle on DD months ago.), why would you want to add elephant applique?
    And in the case you do want to enlarge it, I suggest adding tumblers of solid colors in between. I would skip the borders.

I am sure you will be getting more suggestions soon :-)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Preeti View Post
    If you feel that it is too busy (I think it looks cute - love the dots fabric. I bought that same FQ bundle on DD months ago.), why would you want to add elephant applique?
    And in the case you do want to enlarge it, I suggest adding tumblers of solid colors in between. I would skip the borders.

I like Preeti's idea. Make those solid tumblers the small ones. I saw one of Jenny's tumbler quilts where she alternated two rows of medium tumblers with two rows of mini tumblers. Looked really good.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Preeti View Post

I agree with Preeti. I think solid tumblers in between might make it seem a little less busy and then your appliques won't be fighting for attention. And I think I would use solid tumblers in between in a lighter color. It really is cute material. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I sewed the rows together it would be about 28x40. Yes, it was a dd and the fabric was 5-1/2" wide. I used the 5" tumbler and extended it. I like the idea of making smaller ones but I really need it wider. The elephants are an idea from a craftsy pattern. Charming Pachyderms ... by Lettyb | Quilting Pattern.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can see why you want to add those elephants - they are too cute :-)
    However, that quilt on Craftsy has so many white and beige plain looking tumblers it really needs those elephants to perk it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vchale View Post
    If I sewed the rows together it would be about 28x40. Yes, it was a dd and the fabric was 5-1/2" wide. I used the 5" tumbler and extended it. I like the idea of making smaller ones but I really need it wider. The elephants are an idea from a craftsy pattern. Charming Pachyderms ... by Lettyb | Quilting Pattern.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Put a 2" white border around then make smaller tumblers out of solids to frame it out.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE the elephants! But I would have left out the dark squares and kept it light and made the elephants from a darker fabric.
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. I will probably just make this one larger and do another one in the future with the elephants. Now I see why she used so much cream in her quilt. I will have to remember that.
    Vernona

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140503_173724.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	75064

Just finished this a few weeks back. I added two borders.