Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Batiks - My great love

That's a gorgeous quilt! You did a wonderful job on it.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

2. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi sassygranny, hi everybody who wants to know more about the pattern :-)

There are different namens for this pattern. Some call it "3d tumbling blocks with no y-seams" or you can find some by searching for "60 degree ruler' or 'clear view triangle' . Make a google picture search and you will be amazed by the results.
    Those are all the same technique by cutting triangles with the 60degree ruler which is really much easier as to cut it with a normal ruler. You can also make a 60° pattern out of foil.

As I wanted a very colorful quilt I've made each dice-block in a different color combo. On the link I've put in my first post which says WeGe-Quilts you can find the quilts which the other girls made with only a few colors which means you can cut longer strips and make more triangles and blocks in one steps. For two of the same blocks you need 16,5 " wide strips and for 3 of the same blocks you need 23" wide strips.

For each "dice-block" you need 3 stripes of different shades of fabric. I took 3" x 10" ones. This is just enough for one dice block because my dices are all different. But you sew only together pairs of two of them, which are: light - medium, dark - medium and light - dark. Always the long sides of course.
    The way you iron them is very important as well. ATTENTION! It's NOT always to the DARK SIDE, which we learned from Jenny!!!
    You have to iron: in the light-medium combo and the and the dark-medium combo to the DARK side, BUT in the light-dark combo you have to iron to the LIGHT side!!!!
    From each strip se you cut at least two triangles in different directions by turning the ruler 180° and using the 5 1/2" mark on the ruler. So as you have three different strip sets you'll end up with 6 different colored triangles. At first you cut 1/4" on the upper tip or peak of your triangle or pyramid. The mystery of getting the 3d effect is the arrangement of the different triangles.
    So the eye believes to see a bunch of dices. The 3d effect comes because each surface of the dices and the "boxes" where they are laying in which is horizontal is the brightest shade of the three fabrics. And the right sides are medium and the left sides are the darkest. As if there's a light shining from the upper right side. Very helpful is the use of a design wall. So you can really see what you are doing. The whole triangles where sewn and cut and then arranged as described. I prefer to finish sewing and cutting one dice set which means 3 strip sets or in the end 6 triangles which will be one dice set in the end. And in order to prevent y-seams at the very end of arranging them you start to sew in rows from the top to the bottom. At the end of each row there has to be one filling triangle because otherwise you have to destroy the last dice by cutting it to get a straight line. Therefore you cut rectangles of 3 1/4" x 5 5/8" and cut them diagonally. The same principal as you do it at a one block wonder quilt or a kaleidoscope quilt. That's all. Then you can add a border or even two like I did and finished is the quilt top.
    I hope this was kind of helpful and clear, if not please don't hesitate to ask me. As far as I can I try to help. There's a book about this and several other gorgeous patterns (ABC 3-D Tumbling Blocks... and More! By Marci Baker) and even on the description of the ruler you can find some of those explanations.
    So give it a try with just a few strips and you'll love it. I'm sure about it!
    Many greeting from Germany
    Gaby
    Last edited by Hugfisch; May 3rd, 2014 at 03:53 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful quilt! Great work!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

5. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love it. Love how the blocks come out. Very outstanding!!!

7. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

That is a truly beautiful work of art!! your choice of color is thrilling! I love the batiks also!

9. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Simply stunning.
    Debbie

11. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Your quilt is amazing, and Batiks are my favorite fabric also. You gave me a good idea on a future quilt to make. You English was perfect. If you had not said that English was not your native language, I would not have known. Keep posting pictures, you do great work!

13. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

What beautiful quilts!!!

15. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

@cat77.. Und Dein Deutsch ist perfekt. Schön mal einen Deutschen Kommentar zu lesen... Bist Du von hier? Ausgewandert wie unsere Tochter oder hast Du Deutsche Wurzeln?
    Bye bye from far far away Germany
    Gaby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hugfisch View Post
    @cat77.. Und Dein Deutsch ist perfekt. Schön mal einen Deutschen Kommentar zu lesen... Bist Du von hier? Ausgewandert wie unsere Tochter oder hast Du Deutsche Wurzeln?
    Hehe, nein, ich komme aus der Schweiz. Englisch ist also auch nicht meine Muttersprache. Aber man findet halt online (und v.a. auch hier) mehr und bessere Infos als auf deutschsprachigen Seiten. Quilten ist ja leider nicht sooo weit verbreitet in Europa...

18. Thanks Hugfisch thanked for this post