Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hello from Texas everyone

Just to get me started ,not sure where to go .But I am wondering about the products I've seen and the terms used .I am seeing a 10 in piece of material say for $10.00 but there is no amount of material specified for this amount of money , or am I missing it somewhere. It says yardage , but never have seen a yard of anything be 10 inches.I intend on making a quilt and can do so without a whole lot of trouble but the terminology used here ,I am just not use to it .And I don't want to walk in blind buy something when I don't know how much material I am getting for my money ,sorry to be so long winded, gosh maybe I need help after lol. Oh and what is a layer cake and how much material is involved there ? I know a lot of the prices depend on the styles ,I am just saying exactly what ever is it?
    Last edited by Granella; May 1st, 2014 at 01:02 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hello from Texas everyone

Hi i can't help too much but i'll see if i can try. i don't know what your seeing ,but a layer cake is usually 42 10"x10" squares of fabric from a design line. all the pieces are different but some designers do have repeats in the 42 count.a jelly roll would be 42 2.5"x42 "or width of fabric strips of fabric similar to the layer cake from a design line.a charm pack would be 42 5"x5" squares and a mini charm would be 42 2.5"x2.5" squares.there are a lot of quilt tutorials or videos on this site that you can watch and see how jenny makes quilts and what she used for fabric pre cuts if you look at the top of the page you should see a place that says tutorials you can click there and it will take you to them. there are many on you tube as well you can subscribe right from this site .by the way welcome to the forum you will find many very helpful quilters on this site always willing to help any way they can. enjoy.
    Last edited by stationarymom; May 1st, 2014 at 02:15 AM. Reason: errors
    Joan

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Quebec. You will love this site and the forums. Just start checking everything out, especially Jenny's tutorials, she really explains everything so well for us newbies: the size of pre cut fabrics all the way to how to cut and bind. She is so good!take your time before you dive into anything, and make sure you sign up for the email to get the deal of the day. This is a super way for newbies to buy material to begin with! Enjoy!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Florida! I think Joan answered your question pretty well. The nly thign I would add is that no all pre cuts (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls) have 42 pieces. Some manufacturers put less in so be sure to read the descriptions.
    Donna

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, from Michigan

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ireland.
    What I make with my hands I give with my heart.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from North Carolina! I have called the shop from time to time with questions, before I joined the forum. I think so many of the wonderful forum members are knowledgeable about the M* site that they can help you out!!! It is busier at the shop now then when I first started ordering a few years ago so I'd ask here if you have the time to wait for an answer. And sign up for the daily deals ( referred to here as DD) they are often really worth the time to wait for the mailman!!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from mid-Missouri.