Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should you tell someone who posts a quilt pic that it has a mistake?

I try and always go by the theory if you can't say something nice don't say anything. If they had asked about something off thats different. But if they are post a finished quilt to show everyone then keep quiet. They either already know their mistakes. Or they don't and it makes no difference either way. We are not here to judge others but to be kind and supportive.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

2. Thanks Sandy, WVGranny thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should you tell someone who posts a quilt pic that it has a mistake?

A finished quilt? No way would I point out a mistake.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    The only way I might say something is if I was asked or if it was something that could be fixed. If it's a completed quilt what would be the point? I'm sure the person is well aware of the mistake and you pointing it out may be offensive. If not, now that you've pointed it out, every time the person looks at the quilt he/she will have eyes focusing on that mistake because you felt compelled to tell them about it. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.
    This says it perfectly. Follow this advice and you won't go wrong with this particular quilt or any other. And if I thought it was fixable and I thought it would be helpful to speak up, it would be in private message, not in open forum.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    The only way I might say something is if I was asked or if it was something that could be fixed. If it's a completed quilt what would be the point? I'm sure the person is well aware of the mistake and you pointing it out may be offensive. If not, now that you've pointed it out, every time the person looks at the quilt he/she will have eyes focusing on that mistake because you felt compelled to tell them about it. I wouldn't want to do that to someone.
    I agree. Unless they ask, I would never say anything. I remember a HUGE rift here because someone, most likely well meaning, PM'd another quilter about a mistake they saw and she took great offense to it. I personally would never go there unless asked.
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I can only speak for myself, but I would want to know. I recently posted a finished quilt top that had a mistake, and someone told me. I was so thankful that I discovered it before I quilted it. My husband usually looks them over for me to spot mistakes, but he missed this one. I was very grateful to the person who spotted the mistake. Now, if the quilt was already quilted, I think I would just not mention the mistake. In my case it was an easy correction.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I'd ever feel compelled to point out a mistake is if got 1st in a show and mine got 2nd, mistake free 😊

Seriously, NO!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the happy side... as in Rebecca's and other's posts, for me .. this is my "Happy Place" and I like to keep things on a positive note... how are we to know what someone else really wants to hear unless they ask?

One of the reasons I love M* so much is that as Jenny says... "She is the opposite of the Quilt Police"!!!! Watch her on Fons and Porter... she's a breath of fresh air for those of us that like to express creativity in our own way and just have FUN...
    I so admire people that strive for professional results and am in awe of them at quilt shows and see the award winners,,, but that is where they belong..One a wall with a ribbon.. I Love to see quilts and blankets with a little stain or pull from years of use and Love..
    Just MHO
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this some more and thought back to when I was making cakes for a living. I stressed so much about every piping mistake. Everyone would say who is going to notice that but you? So I think I changed my mind about telling me about a mistake unless it was going out for a show. I spent to much time in my life stressing. lol

Lorie

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I usually point it out when I make a mistake and am told I shouldn't do it because most people won't notice but I would rather they know I know that wonder whether they should tell me. So if you see a mistake in any of my quilts you can probably guess that I already know and am kicking myself.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iris Girl View Post
    I try and always go by the theory if you can't say something nice don't say anything. If they had asked about something off thats different. But if they are post a finished quilt to show everyone then keep quiet. They either already know their mistakes. Or they don't and it makes no difference either way. We are not here to judge others but to be kind and supportive.
    Yes Iris, when in doubt I always refer to that fabulous rule. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. I do not see pointing out mistakes as positive or helpful. We all make mistakes all the time, and not everyone has perfection as their goal when they make a quilt.
    Cathryn