Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Smile half square triangles for pinwheels

Newby question: I want to make a pinwheel quilt and would like medium size pinwheels. Charm pack method, pinwheels too small and if you use the same method with layer cake, too large.

My question is, could I use the tube method using two colors and only two strips to make 7 1/2" wide tube, then cut the tube using the method in the Tube Tutorial to make half square triangles? Has anyone seen it done that way? I am starting to think of it as the Goldilocks method. I am going to try it tonight.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: half square triangles for pinwheels

It will work, just make sure to starch the pieces well.
    However, if you have a layer cake that you love...you can always trim two inches off of the blocks before sewing.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion...well that is brilliant and a big duh moment on my part!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Someone brought that up before and had a tute. I can't seem to find it, but this one Nancy shows it. I don't think the paper is necessary. I like the idea of using the cake layer cut down. You could always use the cut off pieces for a string quilt!

Discover 3 fast and easy ways to make perfect half square triangles - YouTube

It's the third one

Lorie

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Wondercut ruler a while back. Is that what you're talking about when you say the tube method? I really like the ruler but I realized that the bias comes out on the outside edges of the half-square triangles. I've decided next time I use it I'm going to cut my strips on the bias instead of on straight-of-grain. That way the half-square triangle edges will be on the straight-of-grain. I'm surprised they don't demo the ruler that way. Something tells me you're talking about Jenny's tube block. I just watched it. Haven't seen that video in a while.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; April 24th, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

To show you how new a newby I am, I don't know what the wonder ruler is! I was thinking about the method used here Tube Tutorial ? How to Quilt | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials
    To create a tube and then cut it with an on the grid ruler.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I just googled the wonder cut ruler and found this tutorial, Wonder Cut Ruler Demo - YouTube
    That is exactly what I am trying to do, but with using an on the grid ruler. Thanks everyone for all your help.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dellreb View Post
    I just googled the wonder cut ruler and found this tutorial, Wonder Cut Ruler Demo - YouTube
    That is exactly what I am trying to do, but with using an on the grid ruler. Thanks everyone for all your help.
    I like how you don't have to do any thinking on the size on this one. I would invest in this ruler

Lorie