Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gave it a try

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gave it a try

Well....I was gung-ho about making a quilt after watching the videos. Bought a new sewing machine ( I have never had one nor sewn a thing), lots of fabric and needed sewing "do-dads". I attempted to cut out fabric squares and made a total mess of it. I have the rulers and rotary wheel and used them but the result was 1st grade results. I have some precut fabrics I ordered from MSQ but am afraid to proceed. Any suggestions or words of encouragement? I must confess I have not even taken the new sewing machine out of the box as I am now afraid to. Please has someone else ever had such experiences?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Gave it a try

I made a mess out of my first fabric cutting too. I ended up going out and buying some really cheap fabric where I Could practice my cutting without wasting more of the fabric I really liked. Don't. Give up! It took me a bit to be able to cut fabric, and I still make mistakes all the time.

3. Thanks neptunes_girl thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting with a rotary cutter is an acquired skill. Many local quilt stores have Basic Rotary Cutting classes. If there is one near you, I would suggest taking it in order to build your confidence. Cutting accurately and that 1/4" seam are probably the most difficult parts of quilting to master.

Start something with your precuts, you skip the cutting step. Keep it simple and fairly small. Probably the biggest mistake new quilters make is to start with a queen or king sized quilt. That is a HUGE thing for a new quilter to tackle. A baby quilt or a table topper are great places to start.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

5. Thanks neptunes_girl thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of pre cuts? You can make a cute quilt by sewing charm squares or layer cake squares together without cutting any fabric. Look up the jelly roll race quilt. You can make that by sewing all you strips together. Trust me, if I can do this so can you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Craftsy has free beginner classes regarding sewing basics and I think something on sewing machines too. Or try you tube for some beginner videos. And as said, check a local shop for some inperson classes

Welcome to the quilting world. Once you get started you cant stop- and its wonderful
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

8. Thanks annoxyer thanked for this post
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I have charm packs, jelly rolls etc. as well as "fabric" by the yard. I went all out LOL. guess I jumped into the deep end of the pool before I put on "swimmys" : ) It just looked so easy and fun I guess I became over excited. Thanks.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Yep , you have me pegged. Big dreams. LOL. Thanks

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. maybe I WILL take that sewing machine out of the box after all. My concern is this "bobbin thing" I have heard about however I feel there is a booklet probably in the box that will help me along. LOL.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I will check you tube thanks

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started I used a t-square to help cut straight lines. Not long after I went and purchased a 5x5 square ruler and used it to cut around giving me my 5" charm squares. Now I use precuts.

I also tend to buy muslin if I want to try something. It's cheap and I can pick it apart if I want to use it in something else.