Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm still around....just been busy

Hello all!
    I haven't been online here much lately, nor have I had much time for sewing (sadly)
    Just before the school spring break I finished my daughter's Dr. Who TARDIS quilt top, and last weekend I picked up more fabric for the backing so I'm now ready to sandwich it and get it put together.
    However school/work has been busy with testing schedules, and upcoming concerts and my personal performing is busy this week with nightly rehearsals and concerts this coming weekend. (see Bach Festival Society of Winter Park, FL)
    So I kinda fell off the radar here for a bit. I've been dreaming of buying a Mid-Arm now....either a Babylock Tiara or a Handi Quilter Sweet 16, but alas being a teacher I'll never be able to afford one I think. Plus my hubby recently lost his job and is now looking to set up his own business so finances are tight.
    I'd like to own my own business as well as I've become pretty disillusioned with public education politics and high stakes testing. Summer is coming soon and I am looking forward to both more sewing time and perhaps a new workplace for the summer.....but if I found the right fit I could be convinced to leave public education.

Happy news - my hubby being off work means that he's had some time to do some house projects. We had a free to us old office desk and this week he cut an opening and made a shelf for my Singer Futura so that it is flush mounted. Today after work I am going to run to Walmart and pick up a Teflow Oven liner and add that to the mix and see if it helps my FMQ as I seem to be hearing that it will. I cannot afford the Supreme Slider and this seems like a great alternative without a huge investment.

I'll post pictures later of both the table and the liner once I have it all set up. I'll even post information on how he made the shelf holding my machine.

Anyway - I just wanted to say HELLO from Central Florida!
    Sondra J.

2. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'm still around....just been busy

Sondra
    Welcome back and glad to see your post. I tried the teflon oven liner for awhile. Never one to follow any directions well, but having read others remark on how well it worked for them, I forged ahead and cut away. I made an opening with an awl for the needle to pass through. It took me a few cuts to get the dang thing to lie correctly, finally able to use it with success.
    I now have a supreme slider but use neither the oven liner or the slider. I am able to manage the small quilting fine. Good luck with your FMQ'ing. Good luck with hubs job search and sit on the porch with us here at the forum a while longer this time. I make a mean sweet tea.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sondra,
    Glad you stopped in. My hubby. Is a school teacher too, this is a tough time of year. I hope. Your hubby is able to be working soon, and that things will settle down for you as summer arrives.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you are back! This time of year is crazy in the schools. Glad that hubby is keeping himself busy until he can find a new situation. Can't wait to see pics of your new sewing desk setup!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome back. I have been wanting to try the Teflon oven liner. Would like to hear if it works. I have heard a lot of teachers complaining about the testing lately. Hope your hubby finds a job soon.
    Peggy

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Hello! I have used the oven liners for FMQing and they work great. I put some double sided tape on the back a d they stay put. Good. Luck and have fun
    Marilyn (the one in Arizona)
    Quilting is like love.
    Enter it with Abandon or not at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; April 24th, 2014 at 02:05 AM.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

There's your pretty self! Glad you dropped in to say hello. I'm intrigued with your obvious musical talent. Tell us about this part of your life please. What instrument do you play in the orchestra? Are you teaching music in the public school system? We'll be keeping our fingers crossed that your husband finds work soon. In the meantime sounds like he's doing some fun things around the house. Fixing the sewing desk for you was very sweet of him. Yes, please post pics of your set-up. I'd love to see how he did the shelf below to hold the machine.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I don't actually play in the orchestra, I am first soprano. My undergrad degree was Music Education Voice Major/Piano Minor.
    I have a collected list of various performance videos on youtube at my channel from group performances. Vocalist1969 is my channel there and the playlist is called "Videos I'm singing in" True variety there - college stuff, Large Venue stuff.....and one commerical that I was blessed to be a part of because the composer is a friend of mine.

I did play trombone in H.S. but don't play it anymore. I've taught private piano and voice lessons in the past as well.
    Sondra J.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've been very busy, but glad you could stop by. Please post picks of your table. I have a Singer Futura also and would love mine to be level with my table. I just need to get hubby and/or SIL to do it for me. I figure if I can show them what I want, it will be easier.
    Hope things slow down for you soon and you can visit more often.