Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: thread

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy thread

HI this may be a dumb question, but I see cones of thread marked for serger or baby lock and wonder if the same thread can be used on a regular sewing machine.? Thanks for all the much help you give to us new quilters.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: thread

I would only use that thread for the serger. I believe it isn't as strong as regular sewing thread since you are usually using at least three threads on a serger. At least that's what I've been told. I only use sewing thread to piece. I use machine embroidery thread to quilt. I know others are only willing to quilt with cotton but I have good luck using the machine embroidery thread. It's nice and thin and it has a nice sheen to it. It's also quite strong in my opinion.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use it for quilting sometimes. I did it the first time because I didn't have the color I needed and it worked fine. I think it depends on the brand and your machine.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would not use serger thread for piecing or quilting. Use 50 wt. cotton thread for piecing & 40 wt. quilting thread for FMQ. JCY.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I read a horror story where a lady used Serger thread to piece a quilt and when she ironed it all the threads melted. Now I'm sure there are different types of Serger thread but I would not risk using a sub-par thread.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    I would only use that thread for the serger. I believe it isn't as strong as regular sewing thread since you are usually using at least three threads on a serger. At least that's what I've been told. I only use sewing thread to piece. I use machine embroidery thread to quilt. I know others are only willing to quilt with cotton but I have good luck using the machine embroidery thread. It's nice and thin and it has a nice sheen to it. It's also quite strong in my opinion.
    Never thought to try embroidery thread..... I might try it. Thanks for the tip.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use it for quilting a lot. I did it the first time because it was the right color and and it is cost effective. I use poly covered poly for my piecing (Coats & Clark) . Have never had any issues with it melting, shredding or bleeding. I usually get Maxi Lock. 100% Polyester, 3000 Yards Per Cone.Maxi-Lock cone thread has the same color fastness, strength, sewability and color selection that is standard to the world's leading clothing manufacturers. It's fine size is ideal for virtually every material, including lightweight fabrics. Although it is made for the overlock/serger, Maxi Lock easily adapts to any machine. This thread is mildew and UV light tolerant, and is also shrink and abrasion resistant. Cone contains 3000 yards of thread.

I was going to use a Gutterman Machine embroidery thread one time and I gave it the "tug test" and it snapped easily.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Maxi Lock serger thread on a pieced quilt with no problems, but I don't think I'll risk doing that that again. It is two ply thread instead of the three ply of the sewing threads. I do have a bunch of it though, and lots of colors! ( I have every MaxiLock color in at least 4 spools each!)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use Maxi-lock all the time. It is 37 wt. more than strong enough, and I've had no melting issues at all.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a cone of thread and made my quilt and then found out that it was a Madeira overlocker thread. I've since used it for making loads of bags with no problems at all.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine