Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you know about this ?

Flynn Quilt Frame Company: Home Page

And if you do, Is it any good for use with a domestic sewingmachine?

I am temmpted.

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Do you know about this ?

While the concept is great as well as the price, I know a lot of people order them then they end up on Craigslist. I saw it demonstrated by Mr. Flynn and his daughter at the Paducah quilt show. It was being used with a Janome 6600 which has a 9" throat. I think it works best with the larger throat machines, or you are limited to a 2-3" wide quilting space. Good luck deciding!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Flynn Quilt Frame to use on my domestic sewing machine. I broke two sewing machine needles on the first two tries, so I stuck it in my closest. I haven't given up on it yet. Jean is correct that you will be limited to a very small quilting space. Take the throat space of your domestic sewing machine, subtract out the width of the rail of the system. Now imagine how much the size the rail system will be with half of your quilt rolled up on it. That is how much throat space you will have left to work with. You can't stuff the quilt through, it has to glide through smoothly on the frame system. Also remember that you will need a space equal to the width of the quilt on each side of the sewing machine to quilt in one pass. So if you are doing a 72' wide quilt you will need approx 80" free on each side of the sewing machine. This wasn't obvious to me until I actually put the quilt frame in my system and prepared to roll it back and forth. Obviously John has learned how to make work. But notice how he usually does his demos on a small quilt? or only on the very edge of the quilt so the rail in the quilt throat is almost empty giving him more room to work??? There is a reason for that.

Knowing what I know now I would not purchase it again.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well at the moment I am limited to about 2 inch quilting space as it is.
    My machine has onlya 6" thoat space and with the bulk I can only quilt for about 2 " before I have to reposising the quilt.

This might be a way to quilt a bit easier.

I am saving for a bigger macchine but do not know when it will happen.

And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseSm View Post
    I bought the Flynn Quilt Frame to use on my domestic sewing machine. I broke two sewing machine needles on the first two tries, so I stuck it in my closest. I haven't given up on it yet. Jean is correct that you will be limited to a very small quilting space. Take the throat space of your domestic sewing machine, subtract out the width of the rail of the system. Now imagine how much the size the rail system will be with half of your quilt rolled up on it. That is how much throat space you will have left to work with. You can't stuff the quilt through, it has to glide through smoothly on the frame system. Also remember that you will need a space equal to the width of the quilt on each side of the sewing machine to quilt in one pass. So if you are doing a 72' wide quilt you will need approx 80" free on each side of the sewing machine. This wasn't obvious to me until I actually put the quilt frame in my system and prepared to roll it back and forth. Obviously John has learned how to make work. But notice how he usually does his demos on a small quilt? or only on the very edge of the quilt so the rail in the quilt throat is almost empty giving him more room to work??? There is a reason for that.

Knowing what I know now I would not purchase it again.

Ok mabye not so good after all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good question Annika. I have wondered about this very frame myself.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Annika:

This is a far better option than the Flynn. I am seriously thinking of this one because it still allows me to be in control of my design and yet if I ever wanted to use pantographs I could.

machine-quilt-frames.blogspot.com/

Ken Lund - YouTube

so much more affordable and his YouTube videos are very user friendly. I also like that I can just put it away in my closet when I am not quilting something but just sewing.

Let me know what you think.

Prayers to you always!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    Annika:

This is a far better option than the Flynn. I am seriously thinking of this one because it still allows me to be in control of my design and yet if I ever wanted to use pantographs I could.

Ken Lund - YouTube

so much more affordable and his YouTube videos are very user friendly. I also like that I can just put it away in my closet when I am not quilting something but just sewing.

Prayers to you always!
    This is very interesting to me, also. Does anyone have one and what do you think about it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    Annika:

Ken Lund - YouTube

Prayers to you always!

This one sounds promising. Will have to check out a bit more, and if he ships to Sweden.

Thank you Lisa!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about this. First of all, it seems to take a lot of work to get a quilt on the frame. Maybe because he was starting from getting it out of the box and you wouldn't have to do that every time. Then he starts in the corner .... this goes against everything I have ever learned about quilting and other sewing. Perhaps because he has the fabric pulled pretty tight already, it isn't necessary to start in the center? But it also seems like you would be limited in the types of quilting designs you do as well. I am used to working in sections, not across the entire span of the quilt. I can see where it would be good for straight line quilting, particularly cross hatching, but I'm not sure if I, personally, would like it. I guess it depends on the kind of quilting you enjoy.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!