Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $28 for 505?!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default $28 for 505?!

Am I out of touch or is this an INSANE price for 505 basting spray!? I really need to find another source!

If there is anyone local here and you have any ideas, can you let me know? I went to Lens Mills and they were out of stock...happens routinely. So I ended up at Fabricland...is it just me or are they really expensive there?

I'm considering doing border runs for the stuff! Might be a big black market trade in this stuff! LOL!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: $28 for 505?!

Do you have a Walmart close to you? I've never used this but it gets good reviews.
    Sullivans USA Quilt Basting Spray, 13 oz: Crafts : Walmart.com
    I just bought a can of June Tailors that I'm going to try for the first time and it's on sale at Joann's for 6.50.
    The last can I had was Sulky and I really liked it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well as a matter of fact I do...and I tried calling them for 15 minutes and got hung up on four times while driving through the city! I was so annoyed I refused to even go to the store! But I will keep that in mind if I am ever in there again....I don't like to support Walmart but if it means getting cheaper 505 then I will put my laurels aside! LOL!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

At my LQS it's $19.99 for 10.9 ozs. Maybe a trip to Niagara Falls/Buffalo is called for. We drive very close to you going to Huntsville every summer. I would be happy to bring you some supplies but we won't be going up until July 1st.
    Ann

5. Thanks qcquilter thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you on all counts. 505 is WAY expensive here in Canada, even at Walmart. Time to run for the border. And buy in bulk to make it worth it (and less trips to the border). Walmart.CA charges more for 505 than Walmart.com. Check out the sizes and compare.

I used to buy my 505 at Sewforless. I still have a lot left but just checked and they have it on sale at the moment. 505 Temporary Adhesive Spray - Large Can - GROUND ONLY Even with the dollar exchange, it's a good price.

I also buy needles, color catchers, bobbins and thread. Oh and fabric. Well, hmmm-just about EVERTYHING sewing related. I use a little shipping company that charges $3 a box to receive and hold the box. Worth EVERY penny!

Oh, and while I am there, I stock up on the little food goodies that I can't get here (or are packaged the same but taste different) and the kids miss. Hershey's plain chocolate bars (they are thinner than the ones in Canada and make better smores), Jimmy Dean sausage, frozen biscuits, ritz crakers, frozen enchiladas (the lack of frozen enchiladas may be Quebec), cheezits -every flavor, . . . can you tell my border crossings cost big $$$$?

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That is soo funny. My husband was addicted to Diet Mtn Dew and they changed the ingredients in the US but Canada was still using the old formula. For three years we would go across the border every couple of months and buy cases of the stuff. Got a few funny looks from the Border Patrol but it must have shown up in our records because eventually they would just laugh. Canada changed it's formula too now so we don't do that any more.
    Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest Sew For Less as well. I order all my 505 from them. It is shipped ground so maybe they deliver to Canada too?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Joann's Craft Store has a brand by June Tailor...just called basting spray I think. It is regularly $13 but I always use a 40/50% off coupon when I buy it. It works great. I have been using it for about a year now and not a single problem. I was getting a can every time I went in and now have 3 in "stock" so I wont' buy anymore for a few months but those coupons are a life saver.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I was going to suggest Sew For Less as well. I order all my 505 from them. It is shipped ground so maybe they deliver to Canada too?
    No shipping 505 spray to Canada from SewForLess. I think it's because it is a pressurized spray in can product. But SewForLess does ship other things to Canada.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Prices seemed to go up with every restock!

I prefer Sulky KK2000 and can usually find it at Hobby Lobby and you can use their weekly 40% off store coupon (Sunday local newspaper or their online site). Another place (you have to order online) is ShoppersRule. Free membership and if the item's price is not a member's special, you make an offer. They will either accept the offer, or counter with their best price. Shipping is usually fast.