Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default To Prewash or not to Prewash...is my question

I'm sure this question has been covered many times before- but I'm a total newbie both here & to quilting...
    I've been sewing for about 16 years but never attempted quilting because it seemed so unapproachable and intimidating to me. Until I stumbled upon Jenny's YouTube tutorials! Funny enough I thought I had found this secret undiscovered little gem that no one knew about... 😋 obviously it didn't take me long to realize I was showing up very late to an already very hopping party!
    As a stay at home mom on a budget- needless to say all things crafty fall to the bottom of the budget. But I have been slowly planning and slowing acquiring my materials and am ready to start! I plan on making a d9p quilt for my mom for Mother's Day using fq from amy butlers lark collection. It seemed like it took forever, seeing as how I could only budget one or two FQ at a time
    I have all my plans laid out (in my head) but wanted to use one solid black fq as a constant for the middle square.
    Soooo... Enough babbling- to my question. I've read that most higher quality quilting cottons DONT have to be prewashed- which I'm assuming the amy butlers fall into, but my black FQ is one of those precut 1.99 FQ you buy from Joann's. Is that considered "good quality" too?Do I need to Prewash that(even though the label says I don't need to? Or worry about it bleeding? I'm so excited to start since my last fabric was delivered today- but nervous I'll ruin something!
    Thank you so much!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: To Prewash or not to Prewash...is my question

I don't know if that is "good quality" but I have bought them many times and never have trouble with them, All my fabric I have is bought at Joann's. It is the only place in town that carries fabric and I can't afford online prices! But I pre wash EVERYTHING...even pre cuts. I don't want any surprises on the finished product. I started pre washing way back in the day and they say fabric has changed alot since then and often doesnt' need pre washing anymore. Maybe so, but still... I prefer no surprises at the end! And not only shrinkage being an issue, but color bleeding...the dark colors can bleed and ruin the quilt This happened to me when I made an american flag quilt...I pre washed everything but still, the final washing w hen completed, and the red bleed onto the white. I didn't know about color catchers than, but now... I pre wash and with the darker colors I use a CC. I pre wash pre cuts by putting them in a lingerie bag. I know charms are "famous" for shrinking...they are 5"x5" but they shrink to small as 4.25 inches! Cake layers too! So I figure they can shrink before I use them or after quilt construction and then no telling what the shrinkage might do. So I just say ...better safe than sorry.... and pre wash and use color catchers.....just be on the safe side!

3. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have fallen into the don't pre-wash group. There are definitely two camps to this question. I think the fabric is more colorfast than it used to be. When I was the first time I do put a color catcher in to absorb any bleeding. I don't think you get as much shrinkage washing once the quilt is quilted and stabilized. This is just my opinion and others may have other reasons and better reasons than mine for either pre-washing or not.

5. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I prewash is flannel. Throw a couple Color Catchers into the wash with your finished quilt and you will be fine.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

7. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

NEVER EVER wash pre cuts. I don't wash anything except flannel either. I always use color catcher in the wash when I wash my quilt for the first time, especially if there are dark colors or reds.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

9. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I prewash everything regardless of quality! I have read about too many horror stories about bleeding fabrics to be comfortable not prewashing. I would say prewash and starch will treat you right.

11. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would never prewash my fabrics. I pay way too much for it to lose inches of it before I sew it together. And, I really like the older looking crinkly looking quilts. And it does not shrink as much or we would lose numerous inches all around the quilt and that is not what happens.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

13. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Definitely prewash flannel. Especially if it's red. That's the only color I've had bleed so far.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

15. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

except for precuts I wash everything. Some habits never die, I started sewing clothing many years ago and always prewash to preshrink, I still prewash not so much for shrinkage as I like to get the sizing and store smell out of things and my smell (outside dried) in.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

17. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

*I would pre wash anything from Joanns. In fact I quit using it pretty much. I don't want to go to all the work of a quilt and have the fabrics fade from the original color in one or two washes...I would hold off on the quilt till you can get a better black.
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

19. Thanks Plruffini thanked for this post