Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Default 50 state embroidered block exchange

I think it would be a neat idea to have 50 embroidered blocks with a different state on the block to make a quilt with. Would anyone be interested in starting a group with me. I'm thinking 6 inch blocks with the state you live in embroidered on it. Maybe your name too. We would need a person from every state to participate.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 50 state embroidered block exchange

That's pretty ambitious. Don't mean to burst your bubble but I don't think that's going to happen. Welcome to the forum.
    Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Who would get the blocks? Would each member be required to make 50 blocks of their state, so everyone could have a block from each state? As Leah53 said, I think that's awfully ambitious. I'm a member of a birthday block exchange and it is a massive amount of work with a huge number of dropouts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others said, you'd be hard pressed to get 50 people from different states that would be interested. I am one of the only regulars from New Mexico and I have no interest in a state quilt because 1. I don't have an embroidery machine, 2. I don't havethe time to sit and hand embroider that many blocks and 3. It's not a quilt I'd want.

Sorry
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought it would be neat to have a quilt made from all 50 states. I wonder if it would be simpler to do around the world quilt. Just because if someone dropped out you wouldn't really be missing a "piece" as you would if a person from a state dropped out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think either quilt will be simple. Fifty states...for reasons stated above. Around the world....how would all these squares be shipped?
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

While your idea is neat, I have to agree with the others. I have an embroidery machine and the thought of making 50 blocks of Indiana is not something I would want to tackle.
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Plus the amount of stabilizer and thread would get a little pricey.

Lorie

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think a block exchange with 50 states or international would be easier?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do block swaps, so I am only offering advice as a forum moderator. Getting 50 people to participate will be very difficult. Most swaps limit size of group to 30. Develop a more complete idea for what you propose, or no one will join in. From what you have proposed so far, no one is jumping on this idea, because they don't know what kind of work might be involved in the swap. Or they aren't interested in making a quilt such as you are proposing. Don't want to rain on your parade, but this idea needs more work before you ask others to join you.

We have several members who run swaps, and their guidelines are well researched as to what others might like and they have a great set of guidelines. Look in our Group section to see samples of how they set things up for their swap.

Please don't think of me as mean, just trying to get you pointed in the right direction to make your idea fly.