Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Janome 8900 help please

Hello, I purchased, a few weeks ago, a brand new 8900 from one of our local stores. I am having problems with skipping stitches. I had worked on a purse and encountered no problems. I stitched over some heavy duty stuff. I decided to get back to work on piecing a quilt I have part way done--before doing so, I decided to clean the bobbin case. Lots of lint. Brush it out. Move on...however, the thing won't stopped skipping stitches now.

I had no problems before and I have narrowed it down to it skipping when I go over a seam. Doesn't matter if I have the Accufeed on or am using a regular piecing foot. I've changed needles, re-threaded, etc, etc. Its really, really frustrating. I emailed the shop and went in today to pick up some purple needles. When I got there, they realized they were out--no big deal, I will get the needles when they come in--but can it really be a needle issue?

I really love this machine, but I now see that this is a common problem or at least a commonly written about issue online. Maybe its a minority of machines and the people who encounter it write about it online--everyone else is too busy sewing to worry about writing complaints about their brand new machine.

I'm not worried about the LQS working with me, they have a great reputation and are very experienced with Janomes--I just want to try and resolve this without have to drag the darn thing in there.

Has anyone else experienced this and have you figured out a resolution?

BTW, I've moved my piecing over to my used, $600 MC 6600 and no issues there. Also, this is a batik top, but its doing it on regular material too.

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS OR LIKE-EXPERIENCES!!!!

Mary Ann

2. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Janome 8900 help please

Hi Mary Ann,

I have a Janome MC9500 but I haven't had the problem you are having. Whenever I have a mystery situation going on with my machine I dismantle as much of my machine as I can. Unthread it, take off the presser foot, remove the needle, the throat plate and take out the bobbin and the race hook (the part that holds the bobbin). Take a flashlight and really look for lint or broken thread stuck in a crevice. Once I couldn't find the culprit but my DH put on his headlight and pulled out the biggest wad of lint with tweezers. Make sure the feed dogs aren't packed with lint. My machine has a little door on the left side that I can open to see the needle uptake bar from the side. Once I had broken thread lodged in there. Put a new needle in your machine. Double check your owners manual to make absolutely sure you are threading the machine correctly. Sometimes it's the bobbin that's not in correctly. Normally this works for me and I really hope it helps you. You might also try a different brand of thread. Some machines are fussy about the threads they will allow you to sew with.

Janome machines are really good. I'm sure this is a fluky thing. Good Luck.

4. Thanks fliggie thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I have the janome 8900 also. Got it in February of this year. Had the same problem. For some reason the upper thread is not catching the bobbin thread. Because the skipped stitch was about the length 2 stitches would be. I re- threaded the upper thread making sure the pressure foot was raised when re- threaded, cleaned the bobbin case, re- threaded the bobbin and changed the needle, oh and I use a newly wound bobbin. It was fixed. I have noticed that it does not like it when the bobbin gets low. Good luck! I'm like you I love my machine.
    Peggy

6. Thanks fliggie, Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Me too. I did all of the above too and i changed needles. I was having trouble with the presser foot. I moved it from a 5 to a 6 and that seemed to help. I notice before, the fabric was kind of floating thru there and it just didn't have the right amount of pressure to properly feed the fabric. If I had to guess what helped the stitch problem, I would say moving the foot pressure to 6. I'll let you know how it goes, but i haven't noticed the problem lately.

8. Thanks fliggie thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

These are all very great suggestions, thank you all so much. Again, any and all suggestions and similar experiences are helpful. I will try each and every one of them.

I will say that I did change the pressure on the presser foot to 6. I also have re-threaded again, re-needled and swept the bobbin case out. I re-seated the bobbin case--as noted above, it does seem to be connected to the upper thread not picking up the lower thread and it is several stitches at a time, leaving a big gap. It also tends to do this when I am piecing and sewing over lots of little bumps from the other seams you sew over. Almost like it makes a little jump. Finally, I took the 1/4" piecing foot off. Its only done it once since then.

Again, much appreciated, it helps to hear everyone's stories and solutions to figure out the puzzle of why it is doing this. I do find it odd that it can do several layers in a purse, with zippers and thick pellon, no problem. Hits a little bump in the piecing and big skipped stitches.

Thanks all!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I was having difficulty using my Janome when the needle met several fabric layers , such as sewing on the 1/4 seam line just above the peak of a triangle along where there are "bumps" that the needle balked at, ran wild little stitches off the 1/4" mark. It was suggested to me that the bobbin thread was the problem, not the machine, even though Aurifil 50 wt. was being used. It was suggested that 80 wt in the bobbin-DecoBob-113- would improve the stitching. I sewed this morning with great attention and the lighter wt. thread did seem to help, but I had to be attentive and pin the sides of the triangle so that they could not allow fabric to shift. I am sewing the periwinkle quilt Jenny demonstrated and is featured in Block----there are many, many meeting triangle across a row, lots of opportunity to try out the method.
    Last edited by Margok; April 12th, 2014 at 08:56 PM.

11. Thanks fliggie thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered about the bobbin thread as well. I will also experiment with this, thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It was doing it to me when I was trying to straight stitch my girlfriend's grandson's quilt and let me tell you, I was none to happy about it, because I didn't notice it right away. SO, what a flipping aggravation it was to go back thru it and pick out threads and tie them off and hide them .... Anyways, I noticed tonight that the pressure foot is on 7 so maybe that is what I settled on.

I wound my bobbin very carefully. I'm using a 12 topstitch needle and a big spool of cotton thread I bought a few years ago from Walmart. Tonight I was working on a border around a jellyroll quilt. Single stitch, needle plate and it's centered. I had no problems with skipping stitches tonight. Go figure.

I want to like this machine, but it's been hard. I'm still on the edge about selling it, but I'm willing to try to find out what I'm doing wrong.
    Last edited by Slokarma; April 13th, 2014 at 01:15 AM.

14. Thanks fliggie thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I've had nothing but trouble with mine since I bought it. It was skipping stitches like mad and looping underneath. So I took it to the shop and the man said the little screw on the bobbin holder was very loose. It worked a bit better but was still looping underneath. I did some zigzag stitches with white in the top and black in the bobbin. The fabric was polycotton flded double thickness. On the top it looks like I've sewn a cord in it - it's not smooth, and I can see a lot of white thread underneath.

I broke a needle so I changed the needle and rethreaded it but it was no better so I took it back to the shop again. They said I'd not threaded it properly but seeing as I've been threading machines since I was 4 years old I was surprised but didn't argue. I took it home and it's still the same.

So I looked up the problem on the internet and it seems a 'blue bobbin holder' would help, but after paying so much for the machine I dont really want to have to pay out to buy something to make it just work!

I've just come back from my LQS and she said to take it off 'auto', put the tension on 5 and try it, then adjust up or down until the stitich is correct.

I've just tried this but the tension won't go to about 5 and a bit. And it wont sew properly.

I've also emailed Janome to tell them what I think about their machine, but they said to take it back to the shop. Another 30 mile round trip and time I could be spending doing other things.

I'm not at all happy with the Janome 8900 and wouldn't recommend one . I wish I'd bought a Brother.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having such a time with your 8900. I came very close to buying one a couple of months ago - I thought it would be my dream machine, but in the shop I got sidetracked with a Brother Dreamweaver. I agonized for weeks and read at least a million reviews of both. In the end I bought the Brother. What an amazing machine he is!!! I still think the Janome had such a beautiful stitch, but I'm pretty much besotted with my new machine. My love of sewing has returned after 7 years of fighting with another "B" machine! Not that I think all these are bad at all, I believe I got a bad model, but it really put me off sewing for a long time. I hope you will be able to get your Janome to a better place, or that you will be able to replace it without losing too much!! Best of luck to you.