Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Machine shopping: made my choice!

So, last month I went in to test drive machines. By the time I got to the store, I narrowed it down to the Pfaff Expression 4.2 and the babylock crescendo / brother dreamweaver.

First I sat at the babylock / brother, and was impressed by the size. It is one thing to read 11.25 inches, but another to sit in front of it! The lighting was also amazing. I took out my fabric, and got to stitching. All the stitches were even and consistent. Next I tried some embroidery stitches, and loved how they came out. Then he showed me how to sew diagonally. It was so cool! And, it came out perfectly straight even though my hand was shocked by the diagonal movement. And, of course all the awesome features like needle down, auto pivot, scissors, etc. I about fell over when he showed me the needle threader. It could not be easier. Not to mention that the touch screen has a video and step by step instructions for bobbin winding and needle threading. The machine was very quiet as well.

Then I sewed on the pfaff. I loved the color, but the buttons were the same color and small. I found it hard to find the auto buttons while sewing. The buttons were also small, which was harder for me since I have big hands. The stitching was very nice and consistent. But, I did find it very loud to sew on. It also vibrated a little. Their stop and start button can be used with the foot control plugged in which is nice.

I ended up getting the babylock crescendo. I have been sewing on it for a week, and I am in love. I have made two Kleenex travel covers, a reversible headband, and the first step for 12 pinwheel blocks using Jenny's method. I use the laser guide very time. I was shock how quick it was to set up and get sewing. The manual is very clear, and the touch screen walks you through a lot step by step. The dual feed foot it awesome! I had a fabric sandwich the I accidentally moved a bit to the side, and the fabric crumpled on the non sewed side a little. I thought I was toast, but when I pulled it out it was a perfectly straight 1/4 inch seam! I can't recommend this machine enough. I am putting together a table runner (already finished sewing two of the pinwheel blocks together), and I can't wait to use the sensor pen while quilting.

Here are some tutorials I found that others may be interested in
    Creating at Home: Technique Tuesday :: 10/10 Brother DreamWeaver Sewing Tutorials!!!

There are also some good you tube videos for the dreamweaver if you search for them

2. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine shopping: made my choice!

How wonderful. That diagonal sewing was cool. I tried it at the sewing expo. The price is just out of my reach at the moment, but it is surely my next big buy. Cant wait to hear more about what you like on it.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the dream creator which is the same machine just a step down. I didn't want the embroidery, so this was a better fit. I also don't have the laser pen, but saw it and it is awesome. I have had mine since January and it sews beautifully.
    I just found a cabinet on craigs list with a lift that my machine will fit in. Really nice to have it dropped down to table height and I can raise it a little if I want to use the free arm.
    The diagonal sewing is great and might come in handy for quilting the middle of a large quilt.
    Dolores

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you, I hope you enjoy your new machine!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your new machine

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great well written review! Congratulations!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations....enjoy your new machine
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review....you given me something to think about because I was thinking about the Pfaff but I have big hands too. I have a little Brother that is built for baby hands, cause I can barely change feet...what a pain....anyways, this helps me to decide what I'm going to do with the machine i bought before the holidays....can you say eBAY! I'm sure someone will love it. I'm just so mad at it...and I know others love this very machine. Goes to show you....to each his own.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoy!!! If it helps,, I have a LAQ friend who gave her Designer 1 to her DIL.. wishes she hadn't because since then, she's purchased a Bernina (hated it) and was not happy with the Pfaff... she ended up with the BabyLock Elissimo and that machine is so quite and super stitching as a lesser price... of course it does have the ME.. but I'm with you,,, I like my machines for "one or the other"..I still have my Designer1 and use it only for ME... when it goes I will most like get an ME only.. my other machines are set up so I can just pop on, stitch, and go forward... guess I'm not a patient person...
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

CONGRATULATIONS!!! New machines are so wonderful, hope you have a wonderful time bonding with it!!

And please share details. It is always wonderful to hear about the things machines can do. Some of us don't have certain brands to really get to know better, we can sew vicariously through others.
    Cathryn