Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Wal-Mart Fabric [cottons] Is Not Worth The Bolt It Is Stored Upon"

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I don't buy anything in Wal- Mart or any stores that I know have poor labor policies and or use sweatshops
    On the real tip, Marta, I get you. It is truly a noble, forthright way to be. I wish i could say I have been so noble, shamefully I haven't and shop at that place (sigh). Even more so living in the country where I do and in a small town with NO grocery store and the only place to get "food" is at Wally World and it's like 20 miles away (double sigh).

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter works at Walmart. I had heard all the horror stories about how they treated their employees. She has been there for over three years now and they have been great with her. She has gotten raises and promotions and had no problem what so ever as far as how she has been treated by the store or the company.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    My daughter works at Walmart. I had heard all the horror stories about how they treated their employees. She has been there for over three years now and they have been great with her. She has gotten raises and promotions and had no problem what so ever as far as how she has been treated by the store or the company.
    My son worked at Wal-Mart on the docks loading and unloading trucks... In the heat, cold, raid and snow. It was the only job he could find in the small town where he goes to college. He was glad to have that job. He liked it.

5. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the horror stories; I've heard both sides of the coin. Two adult friends of ours work there (he's mid-forties; wife in her 60's). The wife says the job is killing her (then again, perhaps any job could at her age; I'm just sayin'). After hurting herself she could only do cashiering and just a couple of weeks ago she was explaining their restroom policy. She puts a code into the register and awaits response. The response could be "Wait, help is on the way, or no", states she. She says she has something going on where she must go to the RR post haste when she needs to go.

On the other hand I was speaking with her some months ago sharing what a "random" ex-worker told us while we were shopping there about how bad it was to work there (yaw'll know I'm sorta, kinda seeking part-time work to feed my fabric addiction; yet I digress). This worker starts going on and on about how terrible it is to work there and for me as a Black woman she was like, "Noooo, don't do it". The managers talk to people like their feces. Get this, my girlfriend from above paragraph (she's hispanic) says, "No, that is not true. Management bends over backwards in it's dealings with minority populations".

I chalked it up to Wally World being like most other employers. They are made up of individual people. Some folk know how to treat others, some have not been taught how to treat others, some have been taught and know, but don't care to treat others with dignity and respect. And, we won't even talk about those who get a tad of power; i.e., "I'm a manager now yaw'll", and let it go to their heads.

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lyric, to answer your original question, for me personally, I can tell good quality fabric by its "hand" (the way if feels in your hand). You just know when you have cheap fabric versus good quality fabric in your hand. And this is important since I have yet to see a bolt of fabric with a thread count on it.

I have found (and made quilts from) fabric at Walmart in the past, but not recently. One of those quilts is very much loved, used, washed and dried (often) by my sister and it is still holding up fairly well seven years later. When I found that fabric, I could tell it was better quality than their usual stuff and so bought it, made her a quilt and, given how its held up over the years, it appears it wasn't a huge mistake.

Conversely, I have found some inferior fabrics at my LQS (for $9.50 a yard!) but also lots and lots of great fabric. These days I buy almost exclusively from MSQC. I love their fabrics and their prices (and you cannot beat their shipping!).

But if I find good quality fabric, I will purchase it if I want or need it regardless of the name of the store out front.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suzette View Post
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne
    I like that quote, Suzette!

The quicker I find a part-time way to support my habits (new and old) the quicker I'll be able to join you in purchasing from MSQC. Hopefully they are more reasonable that the LQS by me. The others are miiiiles away, I'm talking over 40.