Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Wal-Mart Fabric [cottons] Is Not Worth The Bolt It Is Stored Upon"

I'm not a fabric snob. If I like it I'll buy it no matter where it is being sold. Remember - quilts in the past were made from clothes that were washed and worn many times. Certainly a new piece of fabric will hold up in a quilt even if it's not of the highest thread count. I always check the fabrics at Walmart when I'm in the states. I've bought lots from them over the years. Never have I had a problem.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Fabric Fanatic

North Eastern Kentucky, United States of America
    Post Thanks / Like

In reply to "how to tell quality": The difference of fabric is judged by the thread count, the way the fibers are spun or glued and whether the color it is dyed on one side, both sides or the design is woven into the fabric or stamped. Imported or local production create many variables that also effect the cost but not necessarily the quality. The price of fabric at big box stores like Wal-Mart are manipulated by extreme bulk and contract purchasing. Price doesn't dictate quality, pricing simply reflects what the purchaser is willing to pay for the perceived value of the product, real or imagined.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Local walmarts around here do not sell fabric so, I am not aware of their quality. But I do prefer to shop my LQS most of the time over Joann's. Shopping my LQS not only helps support my local area but I get soooo much better service there. I am vision impaired and I find that 2 of my LQS shops are wonderful at helping me choose fabrics. At Joann's they will give opinions if I bring something to the cutting table but are not willing to help search, then my most local shop they will find coordinating fabrics but not spend much time, close enough is good and they are the most expensive. I am willing to pay a bit more for quality and service.
    Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always get my fabric at Walmart and never had a problem. For me I will not spend more then 2 or 3 dollars for a yard of fabric. Stopped at a quilt shop I found the other day while we were riding around. I went in and looked around and saw some fabric I liked, that was until I saw it was 8 dollars a yard. No thank you. Since I am on a budget I will stick to Walmart when I need fabric.
    Barbara

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommadeb View Post
    I have used fabric from Walmart many, many times with no issues. Now, I buy fabrics from either online or my LQS as we do not have Walmarts in Iceland.
    OMG, forget Wally World I wanna know what life is like in ICELAND?? I have always been curious about it's land and peoples but NOT from an Internet search but from a real person LIKE YOU. Would you consider dialoguing with me (off thread) about it?

Cheers,

Lyric

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I will be keeping these points in mind as I shop (wherever I happen to see fabric). Thank you, Holland211!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jholland211 View Post
    In reply to "how to tell quality": The difference of fabric is judged by the thread count, the way the fibers are spun or glued and whether the color it is dyed on one side, both sides or the design is woven into the fabric or stamped. Imported or local production create many variables that also effect the cost but not necessarily the quality. The price of fabric at big box stores like Wal-Mart are manipulated by extreme bulk and contract purchasing. Price doesn't dictate quality, pricing simply reflects what the purchaser is willing to pay for the perceived value of the product, real or imagined.

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy fabric at Walmart because I'd die of old age before anyone came to the department to cut it.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

8. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    I don't buy fabric at Walmart because I'd die of old age before anyone came to the department to cut it.
    I buy some fabric at WalMart, when I have nothing better to do the rest of the day. I have had to walk away and leave it all on the cutting counter. NEVER, NEVER go to WalMart for fabric on your lunch hour!
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

10. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

BWAAHHHHHH .. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    , Right!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy anything in Wal- Mart or any stores that I know have poor labor policies and or use sweatshops