Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Wal-Mart Fabric [cottons] Is Not Worth The Bolt It Is Stored Upon"

purchased fabric from wal-mart, used it in a quilt, couldn't figure out why some blocks were wonky. I thought I might have not cut straight (quite common for me), took a piece of fabric and, clipped at the selvedge and tore. Result was a rather interesting diagonal rather than straight line. In the long run, I think it is just as inexpensive to shop at LQS.
    Judy
    Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tennesseesews View Post
    purchased fabric from wal-mart, used it in a quilt, couldn't figure out why some blocks were wonky. I thought I might have not cut straight (quite common for me), took a piece of fabric and, clipped at the selvedge and tore. Result was a rather interesting diagonal rather than straight line. In the long run, I think it is just as inexpensive to shop at LQS.
    It really is. My quilter of 20+ years told me that places like Wal Mart and even Jo Ann's sells seconds. And you are always better off to invest in good quality fabrics for your quilts. She never buys fabric from JoAnn's even.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used fabric from Walmart many, many times with no issues. Now, I buy fabrics from either online or my LQS as we do not have Walmarts in Iceland.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go to Walmart and HUNT. They do have a few winners.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I always go by the feel/look of the fabric. Look to see if the weaving looks tight or if you can read the newspaper through it. I think it also depends on what you are using it for. I have found very good quality fabric at Walmart and, I have found some really bad stuff there, too.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What it boils down to really, is that you are happy with what you make quilts with.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some fabric at Walmart that I really liked. I saw the EXACT same fabric at JoAnns for twice the price. I really liked the fabric and found it online at Walmart.com for $1 less that what I had paid for it in the store so bought another 5 yards.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I think spending the $$$ on good fabric is like spending it on good bed sheets. If you've never slept on Egyptian cotton or 1800 count cotton sheets, you don't realize how soft and dreamy they are so you are not missing anything by sleeping on a regular 200 count cotton set.

I'm of the school that if you are going to invest your time, heart and soul into making a quilt, then, use quality materials so they will last. That doesn't mean waste your money, it just mean, buy quality. A person can find quality anywhere if they know what they are looking for. I LOVE to get a bang for my buck$$ so I'm always in the lookout for sales. You are also correct in saying some fabrics, just because they are sold in a LQS, are overpriced or may just be overpriced and are poor quality. However, it's best to go with the feel of the fabric, like the sheets
    "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In everything you do acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5,6

Come Join the Fun
    Fall Mug Rug Swap & Secret Santa 2013
    Patriotic Christmas Stocking

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The only fabric the Walmart by us sells is fat quarters and ugly ones at that!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I buy fabric at WM if I am making something for grandkids, like a tote bag. If I am working on a quilt I buy quality material so I know it will outlive me.