Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default "Wal-Mart Fabric [cottons] Is Not Worth The Bolt It Is Stored Upon"

Oh really now!

I am in a Sew For Victory challenge (must make something from the 1940's) 1940s Girl Friday Blouse and a discussion about quilting cotton for garments ensued. Living in a semi-tropical climate I seek out linens, cottons, bamboo, you get it. I've not been prejudiced about where I obtain it either (not yet anyway). Matter of fact one of my fav things is to use repurposed vintage sheets; yet I digress.

What's wrong with Wal-Mart cotton my divas and dons? I know you folk are knowledgeable about such things.

Here's my thinking . . . of course I've heard, "You get what you pay for?" However, on the flip side, just because a price is high doesn't necessarily guarantee quality . . . does it? The price could be high because folk are whatever enough to pay it thereby keeping the designers in their designer houses, living their designer lives. I'm just saying. Just because it's in a LQS, does that "guarantee" excellent quilting cotton? Really, how can a girl KNOW without a doubt she's holding "good" quilting cotton in her hand?

Yaw'll say what?

http://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

"Being a great quilter is 5% talent and 95% pushing yourself away from the internet!" ~ Angel Bear

2. Thanks madams513 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: "Wal-Mart Fabric [cottons] Is Not Worth The Bolt It Is Stored Upon"

I buy what I like....whether it's from WalMart or a top notch LQS. If I'm making a quilt for a kid I might put some from WalMart and some from the LQS. I am good with WalMart fabric for pillowcases. I made a quilt for my great-niece and used fabric from Big Lots and JoAnn's....she absolutely loves it. For another great-niece I used fabric from M* and JoAnn's. I'm not much of a fabric snob....my quilts are to be used. The only place I can find Realtree fabric, for my camo quilts, is at JoAnn's.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

4. Thanks madams513, Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You can find good quality and bad everywhere, even in a "quilt shop" . Some of the worst raveling fabric I have ever seen was purchased by my DD at a well-known(around my area) quilt store. I've bought cotton quilt fabric at WM that has lasted for years. Personally I go by the feel of the fabric. Sometimes the flat folds of "undertermined " content are flimsy but I did buy some years ago at WM to make curtains for my DD's classroom. They have been in use for years and have held up quite well.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

6. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy from everywhere. I am not a fabric snob and do not have to have only quilt shop quality fabrics. My WM has a large selection of fabric. While not all of it is great they do have quite a bit that is decent. Since most of what I make are charity quilts and pillowcases, I buy what I like at a price that isn't going to break the bank.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

8. Thanks madams513, Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also am not a fabric snob. If I like it I buy it no matter what the store. I do have a prob at snobby LQS that sell for 15 bucks a yard . I don't believe they are worth that. Having worked in the fabric industry for many years and dealing with the big companies. I know they use different grades of cottons to print on because they have different selling point prices. I miss my rag shop anyone on the easy coast will remember them well , we had some of the best fabrics at the best prices ever. Such a shame there was internal friction and they closed. I f I only had the snobby LQS to shop from at 15 bucks a yard I would not be sewing much or try many new ideas for sure.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy at my WM anymore because they just stock it with Hawaiian fabrics pretty much. It used to be a really nice section, but it's just a small isle now.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyric View Post
    Oh really now!

I am in a Sew For Victory challenge (must make something from the 1940's) 1940s Girl Friday Blouse and a discussion about quilting cotton for garments ensued. Living in a semi-tropical climate I seek out linens, cottons, bamboo, you get it. I've not been prejudiced about where I obtain it either (not yet anyway). Matter of fact one of my fav things is to use repurposed vintage sheets; yet I digress.

What's wrong with Wal-Mart cotton my divas and dons? I know you folk are knowledgeable about such things.

Here's my thinking . . . of course I've heard, "You get what you pay for?" However, on the flip side, just because a price is high doesn't necessarily guarantee quality . . . does it? The price could be high because folk are whatever enough to pay it thereby keeping the designers in their designer houses, living their designer lives. I'm just saying. Just because it's in a LQS, does that "guarantee" excellent quilting cotton? Really, how can a girl KNOW without a doubt she's holding "good" quilting cotton in her hand?

Yaw'll say what?
    Well, you get what you shop for, that is for sure. I've learned to feel the difference in fabrics. I love quality fabrics, and I buy them. I'd rather pay for the quality fabric and know I am making some thing nice than to spend less and get less.

Especially if it's a gift for someone. The best quality I can get, the better the gift I give away. I don't shop at Wal Mart often at all. Infact, not once this year... So I wouldn't go there for fabric. If I want fabric, I go where they focus on selling quality fabric, like M* quilt shop.

If I want something plastic, I would head to Wal mart.

12. Thanks Mpyles thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

My local Walmart has a nice sized selection of fabric and I dont mind buying from there at all. Several times however I've gotten my fabric home washed & dried it just to discover it is as sheer as gauze and unusable! It's enough to make me see red so I'm always careful to inspect the fabric before I buy it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post

If I want something plastic, I would head to Wal mart.
    lol Like clear shoe boxes for scraps

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    lol Like clear shoe boxes for scraps
    Great idea. I found this plastic basket at the Dollar General once... It's about 5 inches wide by 30 inches long, I keep my rulers/templates in there. I hope to run across another one like it some day, to hold Charm packs.