Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default No interest in a long arm, am I alone?

I have no interest in a long arm on a frame. I am truly just starting my FMQ practice but I like being able to sit comfortably and do it. I really have no interest in putting my machine on a frame and I was just wondering if I am alone in this.

Why do you want a long arm?
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No interest in a long arm, am I alone?

I so want a long arm! I dream about it all the time. I just can't spend that kind of money right now
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GinnyKNC View Post
    I so want a long arm! I dream about it all the time. I just can't spend that kind of money right now
    If I had the money I would get it for you. I just want to know why you want one? Is it he pattern boards? The push of a button and it sews the design for you? No more basting? I feel silly for not getting it?
    Lisa

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no interest in one either Lisa. The actual quilting is my least favorite part of the quilt making process, and free motion is not real enjoyable for me. I do it because it's necessary, but would rather be doing something else! It is the artistic process of trying to figure out WHAT to quilt, the getting the idea from my head to the fabric is what I dislike. So I have no desire to spend that kind of money on a system for fmq.

I LOVE my Sashiko machine! I actually enjoy sewing on it, and of course love that amazing stitch it creates. This is a better investment for me, because I actually joyfully anticipate sewing with it.
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have no interest in a LA. If I have a large quilt, I send it out to be quilted by someone who does this for a living & will do a professional job. It's worth the $ to me to have it done right. I don't FM anything larger then a lap size quilt. Besides, I have no room in my house for a LA & I don't want to learn how to do it. If I ever decided to upgrade, I would buy one of those table top machines. I think Baby Lock makes them. They carry them at my LQS, & I've seen them demo'd at the quilt fair. It cost enough, really, to learn to do the FMQ. Two classes, an extension table for my DSM, King Tut thread (which is not cheap!), etc. But I enjoy the FMQ & have a sense of accomplishment when a quilt is finished. Now if I could just find time to sandwich & quilt all these tops I have waiting as UFOs. lol JCY

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

A few days ago I asked the forum about the Flynn quilting frame, but unfortunately I only got one response. (Thanks Pat) The reason I asked about it was because it seemed to be a good cross between buying a very expensive longarm machine and sitting at a standard machine doing FMQ. The other thread running right now is about your least favorite part of quilting. Well, the quilting is actually my least favorite part because I struggle with what pattern, how much quilting, my own meager skill level, managing all that fabric, etc. I sort of feel that having a frame like the Flynn might be helpful since it addresses the bulk of the fabric although admittedly it doesn't determine the pattern or give me any magical quilting skills. So I will ask again....for those of you who enjoy the quilting part, is there any benefit to the Flynn frame if one isn't at all able to afford a full fledged long arm machine?
    Judy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need a long arm. I do QAYG so I have enough space with the Brother 1500. I can FMQ by the block or the row before assembling a quilt. I have other hobbies that I also like and can't see giving up a multipurpose space for a quilting frame.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Judy, I am sorry I know nothing about that frame.

Cat, I truly believe that you are an artist and your work is among the best ever.

I have a Juki 2010Q and it can easily accommodate a king size quilt. I do not want to pay someone else to quilt my projects because I want them to be mine from start to finish and I can't help think about the fabric that money could buy. I am just really starting so I have stencils. I use my Frixion pens/pounce powder and then do my best to follow the line smoothly and keep my speed consistent. It is in the horrible stage right now but I am learning. I intent to eventually be through the Leah Day quilting project and be able to do more without a line to follow but you have to start somewhere.
    Lisa

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi.. so here is my explanation...
    For me it's because I do EVERYTHING better standing up...LOL perhaps because I'm short (not quite 5'1") and have worked most of my life in retail of somesort standing up!!! I've sewn on kitchen counters, so many times making yards and yards of "swags" etc... it just comes more natural to me..i'm actually uncomfortable sitting and sewing.. so I love popping up and down for the pressing part...
    That being said... I have a frame and 17" throat machine... and the learning curve was pretty steep... wishing for these things and then getting them can be quite a frustration... I'm blessed with a DH that can figure out most anything mechanical and he's gotten me thru most of the stuff,, and I now LOVE doing it.. However,, I do nothing fancy... just loop d loop, but oh it's such a delight when you can finish a quilt yourself and FAST and of course much cheaper.. I do mostly charity, so award winning stuff is not in my wheelhouse...LOL
    My suggestion.. unless you want to part with 3 to 6 thousand... your smart move is to get a good frame and a good machine with only a 9 to 10" throat.. the Juki or Janome ,, nothing with bells and whistles.. just a good high speed consistant stitching and you'll be happiest.. YES, you will "crank" or roll the quilt more often and maybe be limited on pantographs and block size,, but it's the best and least investment.. If you are up for a whole new world ... Go Gammil, but be ready for "lots to learn"...
    I'm no pro, but this is my observation.. I've had my frame for about 5yrs... and LOVE being able to quilt my own!!! B
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have no desire for a large long-arm machine. I have a friend who has one and she quilts my projects for me. If I was 20 years younger I might be interested in a long-arm machine. For those of you who have a burning desire to have one, I hope your dreams come true. It's a matter of different strokes for different folks.

On the other hand, the Sweet 16 by HandiQuilter looks interesting and it's a size that most of us could squeeze it into our sewing rooms. One of our members here will be getting one soon and I can't wait to see how she likes it.

I also have a Baby Lock Sashiko machine and thanks to CatnBull I'm using it again and loving it.