Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No interest in a long arm, am I alone?

Bubba, you are first when I win the lottery for the Juki, I say Juki rather than the long arm because it is my preference and you can put it on a frame.

Wendy, I was seriously considering the "16" when I found the Juki. Less than a grand for a machine that will last forever and can be put on a frame if I ever change my mind verses the 5 or 6k for the "16". It also kept me from having to have a long convo with Peter about the expense of the "16".

I love your Sashiko machines Cathy and Barb. I think I might be interested but not until they have the 1/2 off again and not before next January!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when you got your Juki! You asked me about it because I had recommended it. One of my friends/teachers has it and wins the grand prize ribbons at the fair. She pieces and fmq's all her quilts on it, no quilting frame, just a table top.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

For me a longarm is easier to use. FMQ is opposite of what we learned as children, when we learned to write and it feels as if I,'m moving the paper instead of the pen.... I imagine eventually you relearn, but for me, I enjoy standing at the machine and stitching out my patterns (I have a 30 yr old gammill with no regulator and no computerized stitching). It's more like drawing or painting.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No real interest either Lisa. No room for one and the expensive would make me think I needed to go 24/7 to pay for it and sell quilts. Since sewing is my fun time I enjoy all aspects of doing it on my regular machine.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Right now there is zero room for one in this house. I had thought that I wanted one but the more I thought about the details of actually using one and making everything go smoothly, the more I have decided that it is not the best option for me at this time. I would love to learn how to use one and feel that I need to do a lot of research and trying several to see which one would be the best fit for me. But I'm figuring if I ever get one, we are looking at 20 years down the road and the technology will have changed greatly by then.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would LOVE a long arm - but I have neither the funds nor the space to have one. I don't do many large quilts, and so far I'm happy quilting on my Juki. A few years ago, I had my Juki on a small Grace frame. It was just big enough for a lap quilt, and it was good. But, I lived in a huge house then, and now simply don't have room for even this small setup. So, I do what I can do. But, when I win the lottery...Look OUT!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat n bull View Post
    I have no interest in one either Lisa. The actual quilting is my least favorite part of the quilt making process, and free motion is not real enjoyable for me. I do it because it's necessary, but would rather be doing something else! It is the artistic process of trying to figure out WHAT to quilt, the getting the idea from my head to the fabric is what I dislike. So I have no desire to spend that kind of money on a system for fmq.

I LOVE my Sashiko machine! I actually enjoy sewing on it, and of course love that amazing stitch it creates. This is a better investment for me, because I actually joyfully anticipate sewing with it.

Years ago when we had our larger 2 story home I had a Gammill Long Arm and enjoyed it...but I have to say...I'd take a Sashiko over a long arm anytime!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think I would love a LA, but then I come back to reality. I have no reason to invest that kind of money. I don't want to quilt other people's tops. I would love a machine with more throat space, but the truth is I do fine on my machine (Singer Confidence Quilter).
    A for a frame...has any one seen the one Kenneth Lund has? He has plans that turn your regular machine into a LA. You can find him on YouTube. I emailed him and he answered. But I don't think my machine has enough throat space.
    WHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked on one and love it!!! For me it's the not basting part. I'm not a fan of basting which is why the sit down machines do not interest me. I like the pantos too, not having to mark a quilt is a bonus. I've never worked on a computerized one, way out of my price range

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

We all have our dreams. I would love to have a computerized Longarm. But... I don't have much space to put one; I would rather buy fabric; I am 76 years old and would probably never learn to use it! I haven't completely conquered my embroidery machine or my computer! I still use a flip phone, and haven't figured out how to answer DH"s android! I think I'll just pay the rest of you to quilt my quilts!