Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Explain the Appeal of Embroidery

A few years ago, my cheap sewing machine bit the dust. A friend of mine had a combo machine. I ended up getting an entry level combo machine. To begin with I did lots of embroidery and was scared of any type of sewing needed to be done on an embroidery project. Now, I sew much more, but when I am embroidering, I am usually setting up the next project or getting quilt projects ready or using my serger. I am not comfortable leaving it running for very long without being monitored - broken needles, etc happen and much easier to find the spot to go back to if you are in the room when it happens. I have fun with it in both modes.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The appeal to me is that I can create such cool gifties for people. If someone's favorite flower was an Iris , rose, daisy, I have a generous amount of designs to choose from. I can make napkins, tablecloths, wine bags. There are so many cool teen and punk designs on Urban threads that my dd uses to make bags for her friends, You can make greeting cards and ornaments, and all kinds of stuff.

Think of it as working with paper and scrapbooking, but it's with fabric and thread

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Love that comment, Leah! I'm still chuckling.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I like what has already been said and trying to come up with something that adds. I started with an embroidery machine and if it was standing still in my house it has something sew on it! All my children (adult) have monogramed towels and kitchen towels, pillow cases with glow in the dark thread for the grandchildren, daughters have aprons with things they love on them. My son asked me to do a "sign" for his shop at work it was kind of snarky but fun... what is funny is I have yet to incorporate into my quilting. I know it would be easy and I could just haven't.
    And actually, I don't have to watch my machine but I tend to hang around in case a thread breaks etc…. but I find when people stop by they are fascinated and especially men!

Sandy

5. Thanks CarolynK thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really LOVE having the ability to embroider! It takes a project to the next level, truly customized and personalized. Yes you are buying a design, but you are putting it in a quilt with purchased fabric with someone else's design also. Not many people design their own prints for fabric, in fact I don't know a single person that DOES. We buy what someone else has designed. And we have to accept the exact way they made it because we can't change a thing about it.

With embroidery, you CAN change fabric to be truly what YOU want it to be, to fit what you are making. I can give so many examples, but a few are:

I needed a quilt for a very special person's soon to be born son. I asked for colors and the nursery theme. The answer was navy blue, baby blue, sage green and lots of whales. Sure I found fabric with whales. PERFECT and absolutely adorable. But I wanted it to be SPECIAL. Not just fabric printed with whales, I wanted to add my own. So I found some equally perfect whale designs. NOW I had a truly customized quilt for a very special little guy.

ANY machine you buy is only capable of performing one task at a time. You can not applique and sew seams on the same machine at the same time. It is not even something anyone would consider, kind of silly to even think it. An embroidery machine is no different. You can not do two things at once on it. I have multiple machines because I LOVE sewing machines. So I CAN sew while one of my machines is embroidering, however it is a bit too simplistic to think you can just set a design then walk away and come back to a finished project. It doesn't quite work that way :-) You still have to work the machine.

Embroidery allows you to make things truly unique, to embellish the same mass produced fabric that anyone can buy.

Another example. I make quilts for Project Linus, and I like rag quilts because they are fast, easy and the extra texture is great for kids in stressful situations. ANYONE can sew front and back sections together with big "x"'s, or a simple decorative stitch, but an embroidery machine takes it to the next level and makes it truly awesome!

This is so much more than just squares attached together.

You have a machine do the stitching for the same reasons we use sewing machines at all. They can do it faster, and stronger.

Here is another rag quilt for a very ill, very wonderful lady who LOVES hummingbirds. Why just stick two pieces of fabric together, when you can attach them with hummingbirds?

This has not even TOUCHED the surface of customized apparel.

College graduation stoles, in standard designs, run anywhere from $90 +. But they are not TRULY customized for YOUR special graduate.

The ability to make something so special, so unique and so exactly how you want it to be, is priceless.

My grandson gave this to his Auntie Belle when she went to grad school. She loves owls. And she tells him on the phone every times she talks to him that she "loves him to the moon and back"

just ONE side on an apron is OK, but when you can make your own, why not make it two?
    the reverse side of the apron for Auntie Belle

I do not sew for money anymore, and would not even CONSIDER doing it again. I do not need to earn money for my sewing to justify the cost of my machines. I buy them because they are awesome and I want to be able to do what *I* want, when I want it, and HOW I want it to be. I like absolute control and endless options.

Quilt for a friend's granddaughter, battling leukemia. I asked all our collective friends for a bit of fabric for this quilt. I could have just sewn them together, but this is so much more for a young, sick child than just fabric bits sewn in a pattern.

Gifts for baby showers

And the very dear to me Mommy to be

Then there is the appeal of having the ability to make something like this, for no other reason than it is incredibly beautiful

And gosh I forgot about labels! You spend countless hours working on quilts, to have a unique, custom, LONG LASTING label, is just the icing on the cupcake
    Last edited by Cat n bull; April 2nd, 2014 at 11:36 PM.
    Cathryn

7. Thanks WendyI, CarolynK, kaydee, Sandy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's even more! I did not even realize how much I use my embroidery, and the thought that it's just like "slapping someone else's picture on a piece of fabric" is soooo far from the reality of what machine embroidery actually IS.

Taking an applique pattern and making it MINE

This takes a LOT of WORK to make this happen. To make it FIT. To make it look like it's all one big design. It is soooo NOT setting your machine to stitch then walking away.

Cathryn

9. Thanks CarolynK thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I looking to upgrade my 15 year old sewing machine, I wasn't even considering embroidery... until I saw the husqvarnas and thought - ok, maybe someday. I ended up getting a really great deal on a combo machine and decided to try it. I love it! I've made gifts, and ornaments, and I'm only just beginning to scratch the surface of what my machine is capable of. The beauty is that I don't just 'have to sit there and watch it' - I can cut other fabric while it embroiders - I even made dinner the other day when it was stitching out a larger pattern. There are sooo many patterns available, many free and low cost, and great thread can be found for a bargain in many places. There is a machine embroidery group on this forum, if you'd like to see a small sampling of what can be done.
    At the moment I'm creating a custom monogram for a dear friend who I have known since birth - she is about to give birth to her first child - what an awesome thing!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not have an embroidery machine. I have a Babylock picked out one day that I would like to get (think years down the road). But I know that I would not want it to be my only machine as I would like to be sewing on another machine as it is doing embroidery. The thing that I find so neat is to be able to create and personalize so many thing like Cathryn's examples above. To me, it is taking creating and quilting to another level.

I have hand embroidered for years. The problem that I have is because is it by hand, it takes a long time and sometimes projects sadly don't get finished. Some of that is I am such a perfectionist in some areas, I don't want to do it unless it is perfect. I think that I would use an embroidery machine a lot to add to my quilts. I have several plain colored block quilts that would have some extra umph to them if they did have embroidery added to them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And besides all that, you can quilt your quilt sandwiches on your embroidery machine.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh Cathryn! What great projects! I just bought a little tree frog

I had to bring my machine downstairs. I would be watching a show or doing the dishes and had to walk a flight of stairs for thread changes. One of those light bulb moments. lol

Lorie