Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilting diagonal lines

Hi everyone,

One of my three projects right now is a tote bag. I am trying to figure out how to quilt diagonal lines which creates the diamonds. The tote bag instructions does not give instructions on this thinking that one will already know how to do it. It did make it sound like I am suppose to quilt it before I cut it. The part that is quilted is the top part of the tote bag which contrast in color and pattern to the bottom. I have the piece adhered to the batting and it is not cut into two pieces yet. They are supposed to be cut to 17X20....20 wide by 17 inches tall. It said to quilt it and then it said to cut it. I assume I could cut it and then quilt it but not sure. Anyway, I have this long piece and I started marking the lines starting the left top corner. I am not sure how this is going to look if I keep making the lines all the way. Will it be angled right? Maybe I should cut it into the pieces before I quilt it. Not sure why I am not getting this. Thank for any input.
    Last edited by HollyinWA; March 30th, 2014 at 12:02 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting diagonal lines

I make a lot of totes, purses, etc. I would quilt first then cut to size. This is giving you room for the fabric to possibly shift during the quilting. I use painters tape to mark the first diagonal line. The cutting guides have 45 degree marks on them. After that I remove the tape (I stitch next to it) and mark the cross line, stitch on that the use the quilting guide and my walking foot to finish the quilting. Hope this makes sense.

3. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahamblin View Post
    I make a lot of totes, purses, etc. I would quilt first then cut to size. This is giving you room for the fabric to possibly shift during the quilting. I use painters tape to mark the first diagonal line. The cutting guides have 45 degree marks on them. After that I remove the tape (I stitch next to it) and mark the cross line, stitch on that the use the quilting guide and my walking foot to finish the quilting. Hope this makes sense.
    Ok, that makes sense why I do not cut first. Why painter's tape...because of the width? What are the cutting quides? Boy, sorry I sound clueless. Oh, maybe you mean the lines on the cutting mat? I did figure out how to make the first line buy using the cutting lines on the mat and my ruler. How from from the corner do you usually put the first line and what is the norm distance between lines to make the right sized diamonds? Also, they had a sample tote at the shop and this one has double lines. I hope you know what I mean by that. Not sure what you mean by marking the cross line. I assume when you say quilting guide you mean the bar that you can attach to the walking foot, right? Thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  quilt guide.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  3.9 KB

This is a picture of a quilting guide.....do you have one of these and a walking foot?
    ~Kathy~

6. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use painters tape because it sticks well and doesn't leave any residue on the fabric. I didn't want to use the frixon pen because I don't wash the bags and it gets cold here and the marks will reappear at 32 degrees. I will take a picture tomorrow of how I layout the lines. Using my tablet now and going to sleep.

8. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    Name:  quilt guide.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  3.9 KB

This is a picture of a quilting guide.....do you have one of these and a walking foot?
    Yes, I have one, I believe. It is not that long but long enough for this project, I believe. Thank you for the post.
    Last edited by HollyinWA; March 30th, 2014 at 01:02 AM.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ahamblin View Post
    I use painters tape because it sticks well and doesn't leave any residue on the fabric. I didn't want to use the frixon pen because I don't wash the bags and it gets cold here and the marks will reappear at 32 degrees. I will take a picture tomorrow of how I layout the lines. Using my tablet now and going to sleep.
    Thank you so much!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

If you want diamonds that you go from corner to corner back from corner to corner from the side corner, right? Thank you.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to quilt the fabric first. Just cut it a few inches larger than the finished piece. If you cut it beforehand, when you quilt it the fabric won't stay square and it will also shrink up some. Your measurement won't be accurate for the size pieces you need. The only way to get accurate cuts is to do the cutting AFTER you quilt it.

Yes, corner to corner for the diamond (diagonal) quilting design. Start in the middle and work your way out rather than starting at one corner and moving across to the other corner, unless you've allowed plenty of extra fabric, batting and backing. Painters' tape works well for placement of the diagonal lines. The guide on the walking foot works fine as well, but for me, I'd just quickly mark them with a washable quilting marker or chalk. Trust me. If you follow these instructions you'll do just fine.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; March 30th, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

13. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use my frixion pen and draw the first line diagonal from corner to corner. Then space however far apart you like. I usually use the width of whichever ruler I am using. For example this is the lining to my new purse I just quilted.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	purse lining 002.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	188.7 KB 
ID:	72183
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

15. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post