Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brother machine on sale at Costco

Costco's online only catalog lists a Brother XR1355 for only $134.99. Sale starts Mar 31st. Anyone familiar with this machine? My hubby pointed the ad out to me and asked if I was interested. It's not my birthday or anything. Weird. He never says much but I guess he likes his TV quilt more than I thought. I am currently using a 30 year old Kenmore. Anything would be better than what I have.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Brother machine on sale at Costco

I do not have this machine but I do have the Brother XR1300, reading the overview of the XR1355 the difference I see is that it comes with monogramming stitches were as the XR1300 does not. Mine also came from Costco last year for my birthday, I have no complaints with the machine just only wish it had a bigger throat space, but I did FMQ my Queen size quilt on it with some patience. lol
    Dena

3. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Home.Woot

Today only [4/2/14] Woot is selling this machine for $99+$5 shipped,
    Loosely based on a true story.

5. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Gosh, the throat space looks so small. If I were you I'd look for a good deal on a machine with more space between the needle and the neck unless all you're planning to use it for it piecing. Trying to do any quilting on that would be really tough in my opinion.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Anything would be better than what I have.

Not necessarily. A 30 year old Kenmore is all metal. The newer machines are plastic. I don't know anything about this particular Brother, but I have heard good and bad about Brother machines in general. Maybe someone here has experience with this model and can give you some advice. My advice is whether you get a new machine or not, hang on to the old Kenmore, you won't be sorry.
    Donna

8. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorta in the same boat - early 90's Kenmore )mechanical) vs. getting a new computerized machine just to get a few of the "fancy" options but risk computer failure at some point.

I saw the Brother in Costco a few weeks ago and was considering it too.

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased this unit in December for the same price. Granted, I am a novice (2 quilts done with the help of my LQS classes). However, it has served me well in piecing tops together. The ladies at my LQS were impressed with a unit that offered so much for such a low price. Most will not agree with this, but the feature I enjoy the most on this machine is the ability to stand and sew without a pedal, the front of the unit has a speed control and a stop/ start button.

The only issues I have had (usually self created) were addressed quickly on my own without having to ask for assistance.

For the price, it is a great unit!

11. Thanks Marty thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    Not necessarily. A 30 year old Kenmore is all metal. The newer machines are plastic.
    Plastic makes the machines significantly lighter and many of them no longer require oiling. I wouldn't be so quick to say this is categorically a bad thing.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan is right.... Brother has come a long way,, I bought a Project Runway when I was dropping off my old Elna for a timing issue... I got to playing around on the machines while DH was "chatting mechanical with the owner and repair man"... just had to have it.. and it is a fabulous stitching machine... lightweight because of the plastic and does dec stitching quite well,, now I have to remember is which button to push to get everything.. keep the "book" very handy...LOL
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

But, if you sew a lot you will have to take the machine in to be serviced. It's practically impossible to oil the lower end Brother sewing machines on your own. I like my CS-6000i that I bought on Amazon but I feel like if I have to sew through something bulky it skips stitches. The guy who cleaned mine said it's because of the plastic gears. I use my old Singer for some projects but I do like my Brothers.