Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Cleaning up' the shoulder surgery proposed....ANYONE, ANYONE?

I like to keep my forum activity, for the most part, to QUILTING. But I'm in a bit of predicament with an ongoing issue of nerve impingement of my right shoulder.

Over the last 2-3 years, I have had issues. Pain, numbness, tingling evolving into chronic nag-about pain that is interfering with everyday life. ZINGERS if I inflect a certain way!

I put my clothes on different, I bathe different, drive different now. Blow-drying my hair? Forget about it. Everything different! Yadda, yadda....

Injections into the shoulder (JAYZEE!), PT X 3 rounds... You get the picture?

I have a friend that had this shoulder re-contouring (arthroplasty) done, and she has NO regrets.
    The getting back to work was a little much. Two months? CRICKEY!

No pity party please!
    If you've had this procedure done, are you better off?
    I'd like more than ONE opinion.

BTW, the orthopedic surgeon I am seeing specializes in shoulders. That's HIS thing....
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'Cleaning up' the shoulder surgery proposed....ANYONE, ANYONE?

No answers or suggestions but hope you get relief soon as I know how frustrating it is to be unable to do the simple little everyday things and being in pain at the same time. Good Luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did not have it done on my shoulder, but on my elbow about 20 years ago. Prior to the surgery, it was constant pain and numbness. The pain is gone, however, slight numbness remains in my hand to this day. I will tell you this....if I were not left handed (and that is the arm I had to have the surgery done on) I would not have it done. I had to go to PT afterwards that was brutal, trying to get my arm to straighten out again. I know others who have had the same surgery done w/no problems, but because they thought some bone was going to have to be removed, I have a HUGE scar. They also shortened the muscle, so I have a dip where it no longer is, but nobody else would notice it. There has always been swelling in the area since, but nothing that causes any pain at all.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

No surgery for me, but wishing you well whatever you decide to do. Chronic pain sucks, JS
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

From an old lady who has gone through TWO TOTAL SHOULDER RECONSTRUCTIONS (deep surgical procedures with 5 inch scars - no arthroscopy for this old broad) - DO IT! Do it NOW! I worked my way through college typing medical reports and then spent years on the computer in other jobs - all contributed to former injuries and I lived with pain for YEARS TNTC. The surgeon who did my surgery specialized in sports injuries. He said my right shoulder was 'worse than any football injury' he'd ever worked on. The supraspinatus muscle ligament had a hole in it large enough to stick his thumb through . . . I now have wires holding the shoulder in place. Six weeks and I was back to 'better than ever' normal and haven't looked back. Oh, and I went to PT one day and was so discouraged that I said no more. They told me I would NEVER be able to lift my arm above shoulder height - yet I can raise both arms and clap my hands directly over my head. Phooey on medical predictions. So, when they told me my left shoulder was as bad as the right, I went for it and had it fixed too!!

GO FOR IT. Yes, you will be out of work for a while recuperating, but you will definitely get better and will be able to function without pain. And, one of the things I did while recovering from the surgery was to sit and applique Amanda's twin quilt (look for the pictures of the poppy quilt in my albums).
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

6. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I say "go for it". I had pain in my shoulder for about a year before I finally did something about it. Had the surgery in January of 2012, PT until early May. Everything is good ever since. No regrets, would do it again.

8. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did not require surgery, but I did injure my neck/shoulder, so I understand your frustration with the unrelenting pain... Then, I broke my arm...the same arm.... Yikes!

I went to PT once, decided I could not pay the fifty collar co-pay ( 3x weekly)..... So I got in the warm pool at the Y... The pool in the Senior Center is heated up to 91 degrees), and exercised my arm there.... It's fine, now... Still am not comfortable reaching clear around my back, but no complaints.

Go for it, if you think the surgery. Will help.... Living with constant, debilitating pain is awful.... The pain, and loss of mobility make even simple daily tasks difficult...as you already know.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

10. Thanks going2ark thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet Sue,

Severe shoulder pain changes everything. I had a badly torn rotator cuff and I was trying to live one-handed. I had to lay on the bed with my head hanging off to brush my hair into a ponytail. Forget putting on a bra or using a curling iron. There was no position I could find in bed to get comfortable. My pain was unrelenting and was so severe I would break out in a cold sweat. Let's not mention what the pain did to my blood sugar.

My surgery and recovery was not easy, but it was totally worth it. I did not get a new shoulder, but had mine repaired. My surgeon also trimmed off some of my clavicle. My should is better than ever...no pain, good strength and flexibility.

If you are in unrelenting pain or discomfort, I think you should have the procedure. Best Wishes & Hugs.

PS While I was recuperating I learned English paper piecing and made 100 hexagons.
    Last edited by Bubby; March 23rd, 2014 at 08:28 AM.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would do it only because my sister waited too long and lost feelings from nerve damage. Now she would not get anything from surgery.
    Have a Sewonderful Day,
    Mary T.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Constant pain not only changes your life, it changes you......I say try the surgery if you doctor thinks it will help. You've had pain and discomfort a long time, so don't expect a quick recovery. I believe in physical therapy and have been thru it about 4 times....knee, back, shoulder surgery and broken arm. That is no fun, either, but a good therapist is as important as a good doctor. "Easy Quilts" has a great idea to exercise in very warm water, but I say do that IN Addition to therapy.....take all the PT you can afford. I wish you well and I wish you pain free and many more years of quilting!

14. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post