• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marta
    The Guild President
    • Feb 2014

Not so charming squares

Working with a charm pack I bought last year ( from another site). A lot of the charms are not square. It is a New Bella Solids pack I bought by mistake - late night PC purchase- hit wrong button. I am cutting them for whirly gig blocks and since that block gets squared I should be able to make them. Are charm squares often off?
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton
  • Doloris
    Missouri Star
    • May 2012

Re: Not so charming squares

I don't buy many precuts, but there are always threads on here complaining about precuts being off
    Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

• Miss Sheri
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2013

I have bought LOTS of charm packs, and most of mine have been fine, but one or two odd ones have not. When the Iron Quilter II challenge was going on, we saw lots of frustrated comments about charms not being square, so it does happen. Sorry it happened to you.
      sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

• K. McEuen
        Super Moderator
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2011

eBay and etsy packs are often cut by the seller so I never assume they are correct. Moda precuts are usually pretty good, batiks seem to be off more than regular cottons.
        K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Fabriclovr
          Designer Diva
          • Apr 2012

From the IQ contest, I received 3 quilt shop boxes of fat quarters, a stack of fat quarters and a couple of jelly rolls. None of these were straight. The charm packs that I used in the IQ were not square. Don't count on the manufacturer to make your straight or square cuts. Also the charm packs are pinked on the edges, measure and you will see that most of the time you can lay a 5 inch square on top and trim off the pinked edge.
          Just One More Yard - Blog
          Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2012

I would square them before you sew them even though your going to square your block. Find the smallest or if you only have a couple off I would just not use them if possible. Hopefully they are too big and not too small! I use precuts often and have been pretty lucky but I usually only buy moda. I think I have had 1 or 2 pieces that weren't right. Good luck and can't wait to see your quilt

Comment

• Kateskloset
              The Guild President
              • Dec 2013

I have bought several on the DD, and I have only used a couple of them.....I do not like them at all. They are not cut right, out of square, wrong size.....something! I prefer to cut my own from now on!
              "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie
              :D

Comment

• songbird857
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2014

I bought a jelly roll at JoAnn's, some of the strips were really off - I actually did a better job cutting 2 1/2" strips myself, using the June Taylor Shape Cut. I was able to make it work, but figured I would only buy precuts from here or LQS... guess I'd better open up some of what I have to use and test them out!

Comment

• Weirdcatlady
                  Shiny Thimble
                  • Dec 2017

I’m a new quilter. I have 4 charm packs of the same fabric. 2 of them got wet from hurricane Harvey, but have been rinsed and dried and pressed. The other 2 packs are new. The ones that got wet Average 4.75” and the new ones are around 5, give or take 1/8”. After reading all the responses, I don’t see a real answer. Should I just trash the ones that aren’t square? Or, do you square your block after it’s made to a smaller size? If I do that, do I need to adjust the entire pattern by the same increment. Thanks for your help.

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

I buy a lot of charm packs and notice there is a bit of inconsistency, although Moda and Kona are pretty accurate. I never buy precuts from Jo Ann's. They are not straight and in my opinion they use the cheapest flimsiest fabric possible that I really don't want in my quilt. I love making scrap quilts, so it is not essential that each square is exactly the same measurement. I do square up my blocks before joining them. If I find that one block is way off by 1/4-1/2 inch I will just toss that one instead of trimming all of the others way down to match the one that is off. Here is a photo of the scrap quilt I am working on, all made from charms. The pic was taken at night so it doesn't show true colors, lots of oranges and pinks.
                    Jocelyn
                    South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• JCY
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jul 2013

Always measure your pre-cuts to make sure they are square! Most of the time, they're pretty okay, but sometimes they can be off by 1/8" or more. I take the time to square them before I use them.

Comment

• TMP
                        Missouri Star
                        • Apr 2014

I have had pretty good luck with Moda precuts. I have bought a couple of other brands that were off. I do like precuts especially cake squares and use a lot of those.
                        Teresa
                        Pelham, Alabama
                        War Eagle!!!

Comment

• RAFDesigns
                          9 Patch Princess
                          • Mar 2019

Yes, they are not all square and don't even measure as they should. I am now just taking off about a 1/4" to make them square.

Comment

• Babs quilts
                            Binding Belle
                            • Sep 2018

Well learning that makes me not feel so bad about my very ugly crossing paths quilt. Nothing was working! It makes sense that I would have had the troubles I did if my strips were "off".

Learned something new here today! Thanks!

Comment

• sottwell
                              Fabric Fanatic
                              • Nov 2017

I've been working with precuts for several years, and have never had a problem with them other than a few fat quarters cut off-grain. I always square my blocks anyway, so maybe some were off and I just didn't notice.

Comment

Working...
                              X