Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jelly Roll Quilt Question

I just got a jelly roll in the mail today for my next quilt project....jelly roll quilt for my daughter. Do most sew the strips in the order they are rolled in or is it best to arrange them the way we want? I remember hearing on a jelly roll video that you just take from the top and start sewing them together. I am trying to figure how it will look after the strips are sewn together and then layered (completed top), if I sew them in the order they are rolled in. I would think it would make the like colors too close together. Which way do most of you prefer sew them? I have the Benartex Bali Batik - Rainbow. Thank you!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Jelly Roll Quilt Question

I have had a bit of trouble with blocks of the same strip ending up together. I have tried mixing them as well as just using them from the top. So maybe it is just the luck of the draw. Although when I look at other jelly roll quilts on the internet they don't seem to have this problem. I would love to know how they do it.

3. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I threw all mine in a bag, mixed them up and then reached in without looking. I think there is no wrong way to do it.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

5. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Eitherway you do it, you till might end up with globs of color, especially on the sides. It's a pattern that is hard to plan exactly how it will turn out. I've made dozens of them, the one I'm doing now has large globs of colors together.

7. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soul60s View Post
    I threw all mine in a bag, mixed them up and then reached in without looking. I think there is no wrong way to do it.
    This sure seems like a fun, clever and no stress way to do it!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, ladies. I will muddle it over. I did see some jelly roll quilt pictures that has the rainbow type colors arranged to where the lights (same colors together) are at the top and it gets darker to the bottom...like a rainbow.

Now that I look at it, I am not sure if this particular rainbow roll has the right combination for the distinct rainbow look....light at the top and going to darker to darkest at the bottom.
    Last edited by HollyinWA; March 17th, 2014 at 08:07 PM.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I throw mine in a bag, mix them up, and grab them randomly too. I don't think there is a good way of determining how your quilt will turn out really. Just have fun and try not to stress over it.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

11. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is entirely random how they will end up. If there is a formula for placement to get them in a certain order, I don't know what it is.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

13. Thanks HollyinWA thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyinWA View Post
    Thanks, ladies. I will muddle it over. I did see some jelly roll quilt pictures that has the rainbow type colors arranged to where the lights (same colors together) are at the top and it gets darker to the bottom...like a rainbow.

Now that I look at it, I am not sure if this particular rainbow roll has the right combination for the distinct rainbow look....light at the top and going to darker to darkest at the bottom.
    I think a light to dark going down the quilt would be impossible unless it was planned. If you sew your long strip starting with lights going to darks, when you bring the end of the strip up to sew to the beginning strip you will be sewing a light and dark together. I think just going as they are on the roll will end up with the most variety. Then of course it depends which side you sew when you bring the end strip up (the end strip can be sewn to the bottom of the first strip or the top of the first strip.) There are so many variables. A batik jelly roll quilt should be beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sewed this one with the strips arranged from lightest to darkest in the ROYGBV order. When it ended up being sewed, it looked like this!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	71325