Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Microwave Bowl Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I know it is simple, but will you post the directions? I would like one that has that great shape - like yours!

Microwave Bowl Pot Holder | Seams Happy
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

2. Thanks Michelle M thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    It's really cute!.I haven't made one yet. I didn't know you had to use cotton thread?
    I really wasn't sure about the 100% cotton thread but I do know that you're supposed to use 100% cotton batting so I guess I just thought I should use 100% cotton thread. My "Wrap N Zap" batting is 100% cotton.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember where I found the directions, but I have it to memory....

Materials = 2 10" fabric squares and 2 10" warm and natural batting squares (I believe the batting must be 100% cotton, I think poly might melt in the microwave)

Place the fabric on the batting and sew 2 diagonal lines (from corner to opposite corner, then between the other 2 corners) - this will keep the fabric/batting together - do this for both pieces

Fold the square in half (batting side out) and mark a dart - (I have mine folded so the fold is on the right - I'm left handed so this may seem backwards to some) - mark on top 1" from the right, and 2.25" down along the fold - draw a line between the 2 dots and stitch on that line. - do this on all 4 sides of each of the 2 fabric/batting pieces - then cut off the remaining fabric from the dart (I leave a really small seam allowance, like 1/8" because you will be putting the 2 pieces together at this point and I find more than 1/8" makes it a bit bulky there)

Put the 2 pieces right sides together, pin (I pin at the corners and the darts) and stitch all the way around, leaving an opening to turn it right-side out - personally, I use a HUGE seam allowance here (as this will be the edges of the finished bowl and I like to have that part a little 'beefier' when I'm taking the bowl out of the microwave), so I do at least a 1/2" seam, if not a little more

Trim the corners and snip into the seam allowance at the darts (making sure not to cut the seam you just stitched) turn the bowl right-side out, press, ladder stitch the opening closed, then do a 1/4" topstitch all the way around

That's it - your done - takes me about half an hour to get one done - it's so easy. I hope these instructions made sense (I've never written directions out before)

Good Luck and have fun!
    - Phyllis

5. Thanks Michelle M thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sew very cute.
    HUGS,
    Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love it! And would also love directions if you would share . But I do have one dumb question - is wrap and zap the same is the stuff used to make potholders? I haven't heard of it before? Where do you buy it?

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

*smacks forehead* NO idea these even existed! Brilliant!
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tamsterg7 View Post
    I love it! And would also love directions if you would share . But I do have one dumb question - is wrap and zap the same is the stuff used to make potholders? I haven't heard of it before? Where do you buy it?
    Wrap and zap is cotton batting. You can just use regular as long as is 100% cotton. The pot holder stuff can't go into the micro.

pattern

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...wl-holder.html

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to get some of those made too! Yours turned out very nice!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine! Use it almost everyday. Leave the points...like others have said, they are good for picking up the hot dish.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tamsterg7 View Post
    If you're talking about "Insul-Bright"...NO..DO NOT USE the "Insul-Bright" for making the Microwave Bowl Holder! It will say "NOT INTENDED FOR MICROWAVE USE" on the "Insul-Bright" package.

Also I purchased some batting from Joanns Fabrics that said 100% Cotton batting and when I read the bottom of the back of the package it wasn't 100% Cotton. Make sure your batting is 100% Cotton!

I purchased my "Wrap N Zap" from my Janome Dealer.