Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Completed Dresden Plate

Thanks for the Scrappy Plate Tutorial link. That will help as I get further down the line. So far I've been making my own "charm" backs because I've just been using sheet scraps I've saved up. I figured it's much cheaper for a beginner to make mistakes with!. Im not making an actual quilt with it but making valances for the four windows in my office (or at least that's the plan). So far I'm still working on the petals but I did use the tutorial to get two petals from a square and that has worked very well. It's mostly in blues and blue combos.

I've tried a little free motion quilting for small finished pieces but have to admit I'm not good at that. So I was wondering what you did once the patterns were all pieced together? I need to find something that is easy because I still have problems with keeping things neat even when I try the end quilting in quarter sections. So wondered how you accomplished that and if there was a particular pattern you used at the end after piecing. Not sure what that end process is called. I don't want to have to send it out for the end quilting LOL.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    Thanks for the Scrappy Plate Tutorial link. That will help as I get further down the line. So far I've been making my own "charm" backs because I've just been using sheet scraps I've saved up. I figured it's much cheaper for a beginner to make mistakes with!. Im not making an actual quilt with it but making valances for the four windows in my office (or at least that's the plan). So far I'm still working on the petals but I did use the tutorial to get two petals from a square and that has worked very well. It's mostly in blues and blue combos.

I've tried a little free motion quilting for small finished pieces but have to admit I'm not good at that. So I was wondering what you did once the patterns were all pieced together? I need to find something that is easy because I still have problems with keeping things neat even when I try the end quilting in quarter sections. So wondered how you accomplished that and if there was a particular pattern you used at the end after piecing. Not sure what that end process is called. I don't want to have to send it out for the end quilting LOL.
    I used a free motion foot (or called a Darning foot) to quilt the three layers together, because honestly sending my work out to be quilted was never for me. I have been doing a lot of free motion quilting this past year. Though in my quilt I used various designs through out, I used mostly stippling, which I must say after a little practice is by far one of the easist ways I find to quilt! There are so many helpful tutorials on YouTube, Leah Day is a huge Free Motion Quilter and has hundreds of video tutorials, Craftsy has an excellent variety of pay tutorials - the key is to practice, looking at my work from a year or so ago to today is like day and night! So take care on your basting method, I started out spray basting with 505 which is great for small projects but I admit I have totally taken to pin basting now.

I am always impressed when people can invision thier finished projects, and I love the idea of sheets. I love image browsing the many vintage sheet quilts people have made, it's definitely something I would love to add to my list of must do's!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Not only did I enjoy your pictures of this beautiful quilt (very fortunate recpient) , but I really enjoyed your explaination of your quilting!

4. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

It's beautiful! I have a dresden on my "to do" list.
    I agree with your sentiment that time improves us. I am so pleased to see how much I've learned and look forward to learning more.
    Sondra J.

6. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing I found that truly improved my quilting was the batting I used, I found Hobbs 80/20 worked best with my free motion quiting style, I think mostly this is because I dont struggle as much basting, but I am sure that is totally a personal preference thing

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Those colors are wonderful! Very nice piece of work.
    Renee

Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle ~ Plato

9. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You know I never even thought about what types of batting to use. Thanks for mentioning that! See what a neophyte I am LOL I really need to practice more. Thank you so much for all your thoughts it has been very helpful. And again I just love what you did with your dresden! You've got an eye for this, girl!!

11. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is absolutely lovely! Your mother in law will cherish it for sure!!

~Sew Sincerely~
    ♥ Sheriann ♥

13. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely love this! You did a great job!!!!

15. Thanks Misses.M thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much!