Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Blade sharpener

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blade sharpener

Has anyone used the roller blade sharpener? If so does it work? Blades are so so expensive here in Brazil--over $100 for 10!! And it is an item Amazon is not permitted to ship here.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Blade sharpener

I have one of the manual ones, and it's OK but it certainly does not return the blade to new condition. It MIGHT, if one kept at it long enough. If I were in your situation, with blades being so expensive, I might get one to try. But, I can tell you that the few turns the directions recommends don't get the job done. Be prepared to work much longer at it than they would lead you to believe.

3. Thanks Marta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Marta! I've read somewhere that you can use a few layers of aluminium foil and cut it repeatedly with your blade which should also sharpen it. I don't know how well that works.
    Have you tried to only order the Olfa blades or also the Fiskars from Amazon? I tried both, but could only order Fiskars (I'm in Europe though).

5. Thanks Marta thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the TRUE CUT POWER ROTARY BLADE SHARPENER from Wal-Mart and picked it up and tried it today. It worked great. It came with 2 sets of stones, fine and coarse, blade oil, cleaning cloths, and blade grabber. It sharpens 60mm, 45mm, and 28mm blades. I sharpened my 60 and 45 mm olfa blades and it did great. When I first got it, the directions indicated to add the oil to the stones until it stopped absorbing and began pooling on the stones. Before sharpening I added 1 drop to the top and bottom stones (as directed) then inserted blade, closed lid, and held the button for 30 seconds (it sharpens both the top and bottom at the same time). You can then press for another 30 seconds and do this until the blade is sharp (remember though some blades if severely knicked cannot be repaired).

My final word... I LOVE IT. I shouldn't have to buy any blades for awhile at least.
    "Our Lord has written the promise of resurrection, not in books alone, but in every leaf in springtime." Martin Luther (founder of the Lutheran Church)

7. Thanks Marta thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda D. Matzker View Post
    I ordered the TRUE CUT POWER ROTARY BLADE SHARPENER from Wal-Mart and picked it up and tried it today. It worked great. It came with 2 sets of stones, fine and coarse, blade oil, cleaning cloths, and blade grabber. It sharpens 60mm, 45mm, and 28mm blades. I sharpened my 60 and 45 mm olfa blades and it did great. When I first got it, the directions indicated to add the oil to the stones until it stopped absorbing and began pooling on the stones. Before sharpening I added 1 drop to the top and bottom stones (as directed) then inserted blade, closed lid, and held the button for 30 seconds (it sharpens both the top and bottom at the same time). You can then press for another 30 seconds and do this until the blade is sharp (remember though some blades if severely knicked cannot be repaired).

My final word... I LOVE IT. I shouldn't have to buy any blades for awhile at least.

I like it too. I wonder where you can find more oil or if you can use a different oil.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

9. Thanks Marta thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Next trip to the states I am going to buy the sharpener. Thanks all.