Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Stitch Quilting

I'm assuming this is just what it says it is, but can anyone give me more info on what big stitch quilting looks like, or show a picture?
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big Stitch Quilting

I just did a search on big stitch quilting and came up with quite a bit. Basically, I believe it's just taking a larger stitch when you hand quilt. There are also a couple of videos on YouTube.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had never heard of Big Stitch Quilting, so I googled it. It's hand quilting, which I don't do. There are pics posted on Pinterest as well as tutorials on various web sites. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is just using thicker thread, like perle cotton or Aurifil size 12 or so and making larger stitches. Do a Google search and you will probably find some videos and examples of different kinds of big stitch quilting.
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My grandma used to do this using crochet cotton. Largish stitches, goes fast. I've also seen it called "primitive" or utility stitching
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I would classify it as primitive stitching. I am currently working on one right now. I goes much faster than regular hand quilting. I am using embroidery floss, but it can be done with any kind of heavier thread. (perle cotton, embroidery thread.)
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just made a thread concerning this because I hadn't seen your thread, sorry about that.
    Pasting what I wrote:

"Some have mentioned a question or two concerning Big Stitch Quilting. I am brand new to this form of quilting myself, but having tried it, I will share what I have learned. (I posted this as a response in a different thread and thought it might be useful as its own thread.)

I have an example of Big Stitch Quilting on my Hourglass quilt in the Hour Glass Group, or in my Album called "It's a Start". I will try to post a link here, but if you don't see it, that is where to go look.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...technique.html

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...our-glass.html

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...-quilting.html

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...ig-stitch.html

The idea is to make larger even stitches with the stitch and the space consistent in size, using a crochet cotton. Most that I have seen have used the "Pearl 8" cotton, but I found size 10 was much easier to find, easier to work with, (much easier to pull through the quilt sandwich) and less expensive. It shows up as a very decorative, folksy element in the quilt and goes so much faster than traditional quilting, especially on huge quilts. I am not very handy at traditional quilting, nor at free motion quilting, so this is perfect for me on my big quilts.

So, I used Size 10 Classic 100% Mercerized Cotton Crochet Thread, with size 5 Sharp Darner Needles or 22 Sharp Chenille, or Large Eye hand Needles. If using the Pearl 8, it is slightly thicker, so you need a larger needle, like a size 3/18 - a little harder to draw through the fabric, but do-able.

I would love to see other examples of Big Stitch Quilting, or hear your opinions on how it has/or has not worked out for you. I am definitely still learning how to do this."
    Last edited by Miss Sheri; March 14th, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

8. Thanks Rhealene thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen those are great, I'm so glad you posted those. I especially love the Red and White one.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

ooooohhhh that red and white in blondies album - I am definitely going to try some big stitch quilting!