Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pfaff creative performance 5.0 v Bernina 750 QE

Any input on either of these machines for my comparison shopping would be appreciated. I've read thru review on patternreview.com, but would love to hear any additional good-bad-uglies.

Thanks.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pfaff creative performance 5.0 v Bernina 750 QE

I don't have either but was deciding between the Pfaff Creative Sensation and the Bernina 830. I went with the Pfaff because of the IDT and the top load bobbin. I wanted a drop in sewing cabinet and the Bernina dealer told me that would not work. I also liked sewing on the Pfaff better. I love my machine and would buy it again.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Bernina 750QE and love it. It's my 2nd Bernina. They keep their value, so they're a good investment. Plus the Berninas are made in Switzerland by the same company since the beginning. Other brands have been sold to different companies and only the name stays. Check out Pattern Review for other people's comments.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Pfaff Performance 5.0. I LOVE it. I just bought it in January, so am still relatively new sewing on it. I can't think of anything it doesn't have that I would want. Needle down stop position, thread lock at the start and end of sewing, cutting thread off, needle threader, etc. And the prompts on the screen are easy to navigate through. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try and answer.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Below is a video on the pfaff creative performance 5.0. Looks like a great machine.

Pfaff Performance 5.0 - YouTube
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That quite a HUGE price difference! The Bernina (MSRP $7,999) is more than twice the price of the Pfaff (MSRP $2,999) so not an easy comparison. Are you getting the embroidery with the Bernina? The Performance 5 is sewing only. Even if you do not get the embroidery unit with the Bernina, you will still pay for the machine's capability to do embroidery.

Bernina's used to hold their value well, but that is no longer true on their newest, very expensive models. They had a major flaw with the 7 series release, so a lot of people shy away from them. Make SURE you get one that has all the latest updates and replacement bobbin pieces!

Not all Bernina's are made in Switzerland anymore, and really with the massive problems they just had, (they also had their uber expensive 8-somethings, BOTH releases, with major problems) where they are made doesn't mean much, as least not as far as their quality and reliability goes.

I would stick with the dealer you like the best. Ask about their service policies, do they have technicians in house? Do they send machines out? What do they offer for owner classes? What is their return policy? HOW do they honor warranty issues? How do they make you feel when you ask questions, when you want to test sew on the machines?

EDIT:

I just re-read the title. Are you talking about the Creative Performance, or the Performance 5? The Creative Performance DOES have an embroidery option. It is being discontinued and the new model is supposed to be released in April. I have a Creative Performance, and I ADORE my machine. I did, however have a problem with it. I know 2 other people that also had problems with theirs. My problem is now resolved. It is an outstanding machine.

The MSRP on the Creative Performance is $3,999. With the largest embroidery unit (there are 2 sizes to choose from) it is $5,999. It comes with a good hoop selection too.

MSRP is generally speaking NOT the actual retail cost, but it is a good comparison point.
    Last edited by Cat n bull; March 12th, 2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: checked MSRP
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Pfaff Performance 5 recently and I love mine so far. I can't think of any features that I would want that this one doesn't have. I love the IDT and the stitches are amazing! Check out that video link in the earlier post. It will tell you alot about the machine. I don't know anything about the Bernina.
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

8. Thanks Harleybb thanked for this post
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Bernina 750 QE without the embroidery. I love everything about it. It's a pleasure to sew on and easy to use. I looked at the Pfaff machines, too. I got the Bernina mostly because I just liked sewing on it more. but, i also felt the people at the Bernina store could take better care of me & teach me more than the Pfaff store. When I purchased my 750 QE Bernina gave me 0% financing so I'm paying for it a little at a time instead of taking all that cash out of the bank at once. Pfaff couldn't or wouldn't give me that so I took what I felt was the better deal. I was just in my LQS yesterday and they had the machines marked down...it may be a good time to go shopping! Good luck.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses so far. I've looked at both machines, I'm not really interested in embroidery at this point. Well, not interested is not the right term. Just not worried about it or it's not as important as the actual Quilting part of the machine with the larger harp space. I've seen both in person, but I've yet to sew on either. Price quoted on the 750 QE without embroidery was $4000. Price quoted on the far-off creative performance five was $2.8k. I know the 750 has had so many issues, it frightens me. The Bernina dealer has 48 months interest free financing. No financing available on the pfaff. I'm in the information gathering stage, so any other comments would be greatly appreciated. I read all the patternreview.com reviews, just looking for some additional info. Thanks to everyone who has responded so far! All very helpful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Still not really clear, are you talking abut the Creative Performance, or the Performance 5?

There is no Creative Performance 5.

And as long as your dealer is honest and aware, you should not have any worries with the Bernina. Bernina International has fully acknowledged the problem, and by now should have sent out all the replacement parts for the machines.

Test the dealers, see which one makes you the most comfortable. They really do make the difference.
    Cathryn