Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help me with info on the Janome Horizon 7700 PLEASE!!!

I am new to quilting and my husband has given me the go ahead to purchase a new machine. I have looked at the janome 7700 and have fallen in love. A dealer close to us has a used one (says the lady traded up for a Bernina) that was the demo in her shop, sold, and then traded for $500. She said that the lady did not like the way the machine did fmq. She said there were no other issues with this machine. Sounds way too good to be true and I have read reviews, some good, some not so good. PLEASE, if you own this machine, give me the good, bad, and ugly on it. I have also found a new 7700 at an internet store for $1599; it was demoed at the Paducah quilt show and the warranty has not been issued. I have also heard that the white face 7700 replaced the red face and that Janome worked out the kinks in the white one. Is this true. I have contacted several dealers and they ALL tell me something completely different. My husband wants me to make a decision but I am paralyzed at the thought of buying a lemon. Please, Please, help this scared new quilter!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Help me with info on the Janome Horizon 7700 PLEASE!!!

I loved every thing about my Janome 7700, except it wouldn't FMQ well. Looking at Leah Day videos, you would think this machine would be golden for FMQing. It was hit or miss if it would do it. I had some tension issues with it When trying to FMQ. Then the motherbOard went out. I thought about changing brands, but I've heard of issues with every other comparably priced brands with motherboards and tension, or I could get the same thing for a lot more money. So I stayed with Janome.

I did trade it for a 8900, but I haven't had this machine long enough to get a chance to FMQ on it. I love the Accufeed foot, size of harp, and it fits in my sewing table that I got with the 7700 3-1/2 years AGO. MY dealer gave me a killer trade in deal on the 7700 towards a class 8900, which was only used for one quilt show class day.

Don't know what to tell you except the warranties are good, as good as your dealer. And it has a lot of very nice features. Good luck on your decision

By the way, my 8900 has a red face, you'd never know I got a new machine, they look exactly the same except for the number.

One machine that I did have and totally loved was the Janome 6600 Professional. I traded it in to go up for the 7700, and was ready to go back to that model. It is a lot less money, and has the same features, but is a little smaller in harp space. Very good machine.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 17th, 2014 at 08:16 PM.

3. Thanks lpepperl thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

My quilting friend has the 7700 I have the 8900. I've sewn on her machine and haven't had a problem. She hasn't mentioned any either. They are pretty much the same besides the small differences. One of the differences between the 7700 and 8900 is the stitch length. The 8900 stitch length is 9mm where as the 7700 stitch length is 7mm. The 8900 has a few more fancier stitches but they are about the same. Honestly, I went to the Janome dealer to get info on the 7700 and they were having a tent sale. DH surprised me and bought me the 8900 for the price of the 7700.

Best advise or suggestion I can give you is to test drive the machine the way you would a car.
    "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In everything you do acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5,6

Come Join the Fun
    Fall Mug Rug Swap & Secret Santa 2013
    Patriotic Christmas Stocking

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've had my 7700 for two years and kiss it when I use it! I LOVE it and feel blessed and thankful for it every time I use it. Mine Fmq BEAUTIFULLY and I do so much more with it. I love the accufeed feet and use them most of the time. I've bought almost all the extra feet and gadgets, other than the binding foot because I Ike to do that myself using the 1/4" foot and ditch foot. I have had zero problems and think she makes lovely stitches. I started from zero and learned to Fmq on it. I paid $2500 new and got a table with it. That's my two cents! You can see my quilts, stitch bible video, and my 7700 video series on YouTube by searching my channel a1angiem. Hope that helps!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you find an 8900 for the price of a 7700?? That sounds AMAZING!!!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you, to everyone who helped me with this. I ended up buying the 8900, the store demo, at a great price. I can't wait for it to get serviced and home where I can learn to sew on it!! I haven't had a new sewing machine in 30 years; I know I'm in for some culture shock!! Pray for me!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lpepperl View Post
    Thank you, thank you, to everyone who helped me with this. I ended up buying the 8900, the store demo, at a great price. I can't wait for it to get serviced and home where I can learn to sew on it!! I haven't had a new sewing machine in 30 years; I know I'm in for some culture shock!! Pray for me!!
    Whoohoo! I'm sure you will love it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't had a new machine for 30 years ...you're in for a real treat!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

That's great!! Enjoy her! What's her name? I named mine "JOY" because she brings/gives me joy every time I use her.
    "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In everything you do acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5,6

Come Join the Fun
    Fall Mug Rug Swap & Secret Santa 2013
    Patriotic Christmas Stocking

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am so happy you got the machine that you love! I have the Janome 7700 and I LOVE this machine! So I don't think you could have gone wrong either way. I do lots of FMQ and my 7700 is a dream machine for this and my FMQ'ing has improved immensely since getting this machine. But I am truly happy for you and hope you enjoy many years of happy quilting on your new Janome!
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!