Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Question Can you FMQ with a paper guide? Can it be done?

All my quilts are FMQ'd on a home machine and I can stipple and I've used templates for drawing lines etc, chalk, frixion pens, you name it.
    However for my latest quilt (the kaleidoscope one) i really feel the kaleidoscopes and negative spaces need more of a precise mandala type of design.

I am not a human computer nor is my expertise up to being that precise. However I do know how to print onto freezer paper or trace on disovable embroidery paper I guess.

SO......I'm wondering if anyone has ever used paper templates for FMQ then tore the paper away? Am I crazy for thinking this is a worth a try?

Someday when I'm rich I'll buy a longarm with computer but until then I need a poor man's answer to my quilting needs.
    Sondra J.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you FMQ with a paper guide? Can it be done?

I believe the answer is yes you can. I am no expert by any means but I have seen this done or mentioned on some of the Craftsy classes. Quilting Big Quilts on a small machine was one of them. I believed Ann used Glad's Press and Seal to show this method. There most likely are some You Tube videos also.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think someone here used tracing paper. It was a while ago so I'm not sure who. I think it's the same as using the paper intended for quilting, only much less expensive. I wish I had more info for you, but that's really all I remember.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have done it. You use that paper called, I think, Golden Threads. You trace the design you want on it and once you have sewn/quilted it onto your quilt, tear it away. It tears away quite easily, but where the are small sections, you will need tweezers to pull the paper out, which is very time consuming.

It comes in rolls, 20' long I think.

Golden Threads -- Shop | Category: Notions | Product: Golden Threads Quilting Paper - 12" Wide
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked a roll of this paper off my Joann's clearance wall. It it marketed for longarms quilters but there is no reason it couldn't be used by us DSM free motion quilters.
    Amazon.com: Dritz Longarm Quilter's Paper-18.8"X20 Yards: Everything Else

and it is listed on Joann's site. Quilters Paper 20 Yards at Joann.com
    Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; March 11th, 2014 at 01:59 PM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used a paper product about 20 years ago and it worked well, but the removal was very tedious. It wasn't sticky to adhere and it was not near as thin as some of today's products. Now, skip forward 20 years, and I have seen a lot of new products and many other marking methods. I've never used it, but Golden Threads makes a paper that you might consider. You have to draw your own pattern on the paper. I've also seen the Glad Wrap method, but have yet to try it out.
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/mem...nfinished.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

All I can tell you is to not use toilet paper. It is a bugger to get out of the quilt. I saw a neat swirl pattern one day while in the bathroom and thought, great quilting design......not.
    I have noticed in the quilting magazines a product that is printed paper that you quilt along the lines and then tear away. I have not tried it yet.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The long arm paper. Draw your design on it. Then sit down at sewing machine with no thread and sew the lines. Now you have a stencil. Place on block and use pounce powder. Quilting lines are marked and then you can FMQ. None of the paper to be removed. And also could make more then one stencil if you put layers of paper before you sewed.

Jane
    Last edited by quiltnforfun; March 11th, 2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Jane M (quiltnforfun)

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding the pounce powder, I just got mine and tried it this weekend, for the life of me I could not get it to work...any suggestions?

10. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use paper all the time, I print out images onto regular paper and then pin them where I want them on my quilt. Then just sew on the line, tear the paper away( this is the messy part) and Voila you have a beautiful design on your quilt.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud