Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you FMQ with a paper guide? Can it be done?

Sulky has a stabilizer product named "Solvy". You can draw or trace your quilting pattern on that, stitch over it, then tear off what you can and the rest will dissolve when sprayed with water (plant mister) or put through the rinse cycle in the washing machine. I always put my finished quilts through the rinse cycle and dry in the dryer because I like the "antique or used" look.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Can you FMQ with a paper guide? Can it be done?

If you want to try an inexpensive paper readily available at most grocery stores, pick up a roll of kitchen parchment paper. I used that for the borders on my last quilt. I drew my pattern on the paper, pinned it to the borders, sewed the pattern using a FMQ setup on my standard machine and then tore the paper off when done. It takes a little time to remove the paper but a good pair of tweezers makes quick work of it. The nice thing about the parchment paper besides the price is you can pull off as long or short a strip as you need to fit your borders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IQ2 FMQ TEMPLATE PATTERN MED RES.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	70520
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OUTER BORDER FMQ PATTERN TEMPLATE MED RES.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	197.3 KB 
ID:	70521
    Last edited by Sewbee; March 12th, 2014 at 11:50 AM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

To get Pounce to stick longer, use cheap hairspray. I little spritz helps A LOT!

Also, I use a foam paintbrush to apply it. I hate that bulky pounce pad.

Now, if you use paper, won't the little leftover bits come out in the wash?
    Cathryn

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I'm unleashing myself from my work desk and I am now on a hunt for tracing paper and Cling wrap! Thanks everyone! I am very inspired now and found some great ideas to begin tracing. :-)
    Sondra J.

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Memejudy View Post
    Regarding the pounce powder, I just got mine and tried it this weekend, for the life of me I could not get it to work...any suggestions?
    I found the best way to use pounce is to not use the "pouncer". Kind of defeats the purpose but I use a 1- 11/2" wide paint brush, dip it in the dry pounce and then brush over the stencil. It didn't work right for me either until I tried it this way.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had read somewhere that you can use freezer paper cut into shapes, iron it onto the quilt, then sew around the outer edges of the freezer paper, then tear the paper off. I'm not sure where I saw this, but I want to try this method. I sometimes use the Golden Threads paper, but when working with a larger block design, it shifts around and tears before I get to finish the block, making my designs a bit uneven. Luckily the fabric is busy and it won't be as noticeable.

The Sulky Solvy is easier to deal with than the cling wrap. It washes out and you don't need to sit there with tweezers after.

My most favorite marking method is Blue Line Eraser. It's awesome!
    BLE -3 Piece Kit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used some of those thin foam shapes from the dollar store to sew around at one time. They were big flowers and butterflies for children's parties I guess, I just used a pin to attache them to the quilt sandwich. It didn't hurt anything to sew through the foam at the edge occasionally. It worded OK but I have not done it again since I must have gotten a little better and can make freehand flowers finally.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can use paper, I even use copy payer. But if you can use freezer paper draw your design on the paper then sew on that design with your machine. having perforated the paper with your needle you can then use the powder chalk and pouncer to make your design on your quilt. But, I over the years got tired of doing this so now come up with a design make templates out of the cardboard or freezer paper and them trace my design on the material using teacher chalk and follow the design. I also use my white dry eraser board to practice my designs as I sit in front of the TV at night, that way you are teaching yourself the movement of your design and it makes it so much easier to do the design with your machine.
    Lynn R

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use paper, templates, or traced patterns. I just do FMQ as the spirit moves me. No pieces of paper to pluck, no pen markings to wash out, no powder to fuss with. One way to get the pattern in your mind is to use a white board with erasable pens & practice the moves. I always make one sample quilt block out of the fabrics used in the quilt & practice on it to make sure the thread & FMQ look ok. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely stink at ANY and all kinds of drawing, so I MUST have a guide line to sew on. That muscle memory stuff does not work with me. I am not a "doodler".

I am currently in the quilting process, and am using self adhesive water soluble stabilizer. Trace the design onto the stabilizer, peel the paper off, stick to quilt. Nice because it stays in place! I always wash my quilts as soon as they are finished, I like STARCH and have to wash it out anyways.
    Cathryn