Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you....

I've been building my stash by overbuying the fabric I need for a specific pattern. Usually by a half a yard or so. Then of course if I'm in a shop or online and just have to have something, get it. Depending on my mood, I'll buy either a yard or only half. It's rare for me to buy any larger than that unless I have a specific project.

Of course there are all the precuts I've started amassing. I like these since I'm bad at color choices and it's one less thing to think about when making a quilt.

2. Thanks Hawaii Roxy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Thanks yall ! I have been sooo bad ! I just looked at my MSQC account and I have ordered the DD the last 4 consecutive days! HOLY COW!! Its like I have become a DD junkie in 4 days!! I need to deactivate my account before I find myself in the street beggin for change! hahahahaha

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've done that before. I made myself go a whole week after that without looking at the DD until it was bedtime because by that time of night it was sold out.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

First, I would caution you to go easy. It is very addictive and expensive habit! I took that advise from many on this board and other forums. Too much can be really overwhelming. PLUS I don't have a dedicated sewing room, so I only have one book case to hold all my fabric and crafting supplies.

Here's how I GRADUALLY built up my stash: I started by buying what I needed for a specific project and rounded up - getting a yard instead of 1/2 yard, etc. If (when) a fabric line comes out that I absolutely fall in love with, I will usually buy a charm pack or layer cake (sometimes eve a fat quarter bundle!) so I can see/own every fabric in the line. Then, depending on the project, I will buy a yard (or more) of my very favorite designs in that line and 6-8 yards for the backing. I keep my fabric stash organized by project / collection and right now I can easily see that I have about 7 quilting projects ready to go! If a fabric in that line goes on sale later on, I usually buy more. After I finish a project, I inevitably have left-over scraps. If it's ALOT then I will make another quilt or matching throw or pillow shams, etc. Smaller scraps (2 inches or larger) go into bins for scrappy projects.

I've learned the hard way that it's better to have more fabric than a pattern calls for than not enough. Because my favorite design will sell out by the time I get around to making my quilt and can't be found! Ugh...I really hate it when that happens! January is the best time to stock up on next year's Christmas fabric (usually on sale) .... after Easter for fall/winter and valentine fabric. August or at back-to-school time for Americana and spring/summer fabric, etc. I love getting a good deal on fabric!

There will ALWAYS be more designs/lines - I'm surprised at how quickly new lines are introduced. And eventually most will go on sale. I may go several months without buying anything more than I need for a project and then WHAM! I fall in love with like 10 new lines or designs all at once. Ahh, but since I didn't spend money on the so-so fabric all those months, I have enough saved up so I can splurge on the new ones that blew me away!

I wish I could afford, and had the space, to get a yard of fabric a day! But due to my finances and space limitations, I really like my system - it's very manageable! I signed up for a class next month and was able to find almost everything I needed for the quilt in my own stash. It's a fabric line that I really liked and bought without any particular project in mind. I almost hate to make that first cut because I loved just looking at it! But I keep telling myself it's going to look even nicer on my bed or couch in a few weeks!

6. Thanks Hawaii Roxy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Something else to think about when building your stash, however you decide to do it,,,, are you going to use it??
    Or are you going to just hoard it, afraid to cut into it, letting it grow uncontrolled until it takes over your sewing room, every closet in your house & uncounted totes in the garage??? Don't laugh, this could happen to you!!
    This is the story of my addiction. LOL. I have since pared down my stash by using it, donating what I didn't LOVE anymore to Project Linus & giving it away to friends. What I have now I am determined to actually use, so I shop my stash before I buy anywhere else.
    Sure, I have the occasional relapse, especially when I'm on vacation & go to a new quilt store in another state. But mostly I am sticking to my plan...
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

8. Thanks Hawaii Roxy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

hahahah I love it thanks so much! I too have been buying more then I need for a project cuz I like left overs lol I have a lot of scraps and am going to put them together for a huge scrappy!