Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Retired and Going to Pieces!

Good afternoon, fellow travelers!

I'm Beautress from Walker County, Texas, where we moved in May of 2009, after my retirement from keeping a quilt shop going for 23 years in Wyoming. I had to retire early due to my case of fibromyalgia, which was not compatible with the hard work of being chief cook and bottle washer at a quilt shop that included everything from making executive decisions to cleaning the toilet bowl and getting ready for the next day the night before.

I've had a fun 5 years of playing with fabrics and making lots of charity quilts, which is the joy of my life. I needed a place to register my little works, and started a thread yesterday evening in Show and Tell entitled "The Happy Scanner." I can't take pictures, don't own a camera, but needed a way to keep track of my quilts. In 2012, I completed 100 quilt tops to donate to the Charity Bees Quilters who are mostly members of the Tall PInes Quilt Guild, and I am hoping to finish 10 quilts this month with 4 of them already done, and 2 in progress.

I spent most of my 23 years writing quilt lessons and writing design books for fusible applique, but couldn't sit over a drawing board for 12 or 13 months to do another book. So now, I've just gone to piecing rather than applique, although I may from time to time do a minor work of applique to hasten the completion of a quilt that uses large squares that are perfect blackboards for simple quilt objects for children. Our guild makes quilts for Hugs babies and sales for donating scholarships to young students at Sam Houston State University at Huntsville, Texas. It's fun to go into town and visit the Fabric Store when I drop off the quilts I finished for the Charity Bees workers to quilt. They're the most wonderful ladies on the planet, imho, a credit extraordinaire to our small farming and teaching college community that has a strong school of law enforcement within its walls.

I look forward to meeting and seeing your quilts, and someday, I will take a class in photography and learn to use a camera, but not now! There are too many quilts to make, and not enough hours in the day. Last year, the Bees handed out 5 substantial scholarships to help young women through a year of college. I'm proud to be a small part of the group, and so grateful they like my humble little quilt tops.

Most recently, I spent 6 months embroidering a butterfly quilt, to re-engage an appreciation of handwork, which I've so seldom done as a shopkeeper and sewing machine instructor. My shop is now in the hands of two wonderful helpers and their students and the supportive community of Casper, Wyoming. Because of their hard work, the shop will be 27 years old soon.

Let's have a great March of quilting and sharing! Look forward to seeing your quilts, where I'm going right now!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Retired and Going to Pieces!

Welcome here. I understand the changes retirement bring on.

3. Thanks beautress thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my! You are very busy for being retired! With all of your experience I'm sure you can lend something to our forum. Your butterflies are very pretty. My most treasured quilt is the last one my mother made ( and the only one I have of hers) which is embroidered sun bonnet sue and farmer Sam blocks. Welcome from Southern California.

5. Thanks beautress thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Arizona
    bjsmith57

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from California.
    Jump right in & enjoy...
    May the road rise up to meet you...
    May the wind be always at your back...
    May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
    Patt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Massachusetts
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Florida!
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Ohio.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com