Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need insight on 50th anniversary quilts...

I'm sure that I'm not the first person in the world to need to make a 50th anniversary quilt. My parents' is in the beginning of July. The color is "gold" for the 50th. What have you all done? Any ideas? I'm thinking a set of lapquilts as they like to snooze on the couches. How does one step it up yet make it sturdy and very washable?????

I'm working on the D9P -- I'm half done with the deconstruction of the 9 patches and am moving them around to get the pattern correct (no matching so faster). I'll post when done. However, when I am done, I have to boogie on the gift for my parents and sure could use inspirations from things you all have done!! Please???
    Melanee

Well Behaved Women Seldom Make History - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need insight on 50th anniversary quilts...

A memory quilt? DD made one using D9P. Used pictures for the 4 corners and prints for the other blocks, solid for the center.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, a memory quilt would be great - maybe have family members sign some blocks and sash it. Put their wedding picture in the middle, pictures of children and grandkids alternated with the signed blocks??
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at many memory options. My family is almost 100% in Canada and there is no way to get hold of pictures, their writing, etc.

Any other ideas? This is a solo endeavour. My siblings are all fighting over what to give. I figure to just get going and make something special. Skip the arguing and get on with something.

I'll do some internet hunting as well - hopefully some wonderful happy idea will pop into my head!!!
    Melanee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like your idea of making two for their chairs or the couch to cuddle up in while watching tv. You never know if one needs an extra blanket and the other person thinks it's too warm at the moment to be under a quilt, so they could use them in bed too. Great idea. Hugs, Jan L

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

how about either one quilt with 50 blocks? Maybe use a double wedding ring? Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr .........two lap quilts with 25 blocks in each with the double wedding ring. (ok ok 25 blocks would be tough but you get the idea lol) Mayyyyyyybeeeeeeeeee you could do one white on gold and the other gold on white?

i think it would be such a sweet idea to use the double wedding ring for a golden anniversary.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, your imagination is wonderful! One thing that I had thought of is doing both sides, so I could have a golden/white side and the other side more "personality" focused. Mom said that she held a bouquet of 12 red roses when she got married with a golden yellow ribbon. So, I also have that in my brain as well. Bright red roses that are 3 inches or so -- even bouquets -- are near impossible to find on fabric!!!! I'm thinking of a red rose cluster and make 12 of those squares -- making that in some way on one side -- and the idea of the gold on the other is clicking. Hmm. So many options.....
    Melanee

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas! Maybe applique something....50 times. How about 50 gold hearts or stars? Writing names of place, people, etc that were/are important to them and then embroidering them with sparkly gold thread? Then the red roses in the middle? Really, there are infinite possibilities! It will be a wonderful gift to express your love and respect, especially after so many wonderful wedded years! You are a special and thoughtful daughter, Melanee!