Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I'M ALL WONKY!!! HELP PLEASE.

Lorraine, great quilt block. keep on making them. I don't see any problem.
    Shirley

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe you chose that as your first quilt!!!! Scary, but good for you! I only see one point you will lose and that is the one in the upper right corner.....maybe you can take it apart and easily fix it. I am very impressed!

As much as I like the center part of that block, after doing a D9P, I decided I'd never be doing that one!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect Points Quilt Along - Quilt With Us

This is a great lesson in perfect points...I"ve sewn a few of these blocks and learned a great deal. It might be very helpful to you too! And, as other's have said, homemade quilts aren't perfect...they have character! Loved the block though...keep trying, you will get it.
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see any wonkiness, just a couple of points that will be caught in the seam when the blocks are sewn together.
    *~* Myrna *~*
    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it looks fantastic. I still have loads of trouble saving points. I no longer stress over it, because there is no one i would give a quilt to that the sewing part of it would be a focus. Design, colors, and love, and comfort. Thats what they see
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone here...good job from where we sit! But someone said something about "illusion".... I have found that blocks like this with all these seams...if they aren't pressed right, the seams don't get flattened out, which means the measurement will be wonky...at least looking at it.,,, if th at makes sense. What I have found is to press all seams as you go, I press them open as it is easier to match them later. But once done, I lay a bath towel on my pressing board and lay the block face down on the towel and with steam...lightly press. Don't iron, just press, lift up , move over, press, lift up, move over until you press the whole block. THe reason is because when you press a block with lots of seams on a iron board...those seams don't allow the fabric to be pressed flat, the seams are higher than the fabric so the iron doesn't hardly touch the fabric...just the seams. The seams raise the fabric up so the fabric is not pressed and that also makes the seam area awkward so the seams don't press right. But if face down on the towel..the cushion/pile of the towel is high enough to catch the fabric and the front of the seam that needs pressed and the steam smooths it all out! Give it a try as I have done this many times and it does make a difference... a good difference.

7. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful block. Don't beat yourself up, especially on your first quilt. This should be fun not stressful. The only suggestion I have is what Karen said, be careful not to square up your blocks too much. You might want to make all your blocks before squaring up. Your personal seam allowance might mean your blocks end up bigger than what the pattern says, but if you're consistent with your seam allowance, they should still go together well. Can't wait to see this finished.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see the wonkiness you speak of. It is an impressive block for your first. You done a good job. Wish all my things came out as good.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I can see what's worrying you Lorraine. You will lose some of those points on the outside of the block when you start joining up. I use 'leaders' and 'enders' as described in detail (with pictures) on Bonnie Hunter's site Quiltville.com to help keep those little seams accurate. It works for me. Good luck and I think your first venture into quilting is stunning.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Well, thank you all VERY MUCH. I feel much better now. I was beginning to wonder if I was trying to run before I could walk. I think we are indeed our own worst critics and I do think I maybe should have started with something easier, but this will be part of a sampler so hopefully, they won't all be wonky, lol. Thanks again all.

I will have a look at the leaders and enders Mary and also the link from you Pat. Thanks.
    I'm not a complete idiot.....some pieces are missing!
    Lorraine