Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using MS Excel to create a block instead of buying EQ7

A while back I explained how I used Excel to design in and recently I got a request to mention it again.
    So I am sharing my response to Cyrstal and hopefully she will review this thread.
    She asked if I had instructions written up to use Excel when I design a block. No but I guess i could if really necessary. If you know Excel, the process is really quite simple by merging cells to make your borders and squares. Insert scanned fabric colors and place them inside the merged cell. Cyrstal wants to include fabric #. No problem, just place a text box with the number over the fabric color. Then once it is printed the block is designed with the correct fabric image and # and when you stitch you will have a guide to go by. It's a very simple use of Excel, but so much cheaper than EQ7 with the same outcome.

I always start from the middle and work out on my worksheet. Once I figure out how large the block is, I set the cell size let's say at 1/2 inch and trans late that to mean every cell represents 1 inch of fabric width. So if I am making a log cabin design and I know I am going to use 2 1/4 inch strips throughout the design, then my cells will equal 2 1/4 width. I don't get too hung up on the measurements. Once that center is set and known, the rest seem to fall into place. Merging your cells for the direction you are making each portion of the block is the key. But using Excel also allows you to undo, so don't panic if you over merged.

For those of you with EQ7. Just enjoy your EQ7. You have the cadillac and I'm driving the used car. But the used car still gets me there. i hope this helps. Ask any time and I can post examples if needed. Enjoy and have fun designing and then stitching.
    Last edited by macfarm101; February 24th, 2014 at 05:43 PM.

2. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using MS Excel to create a block instead of buying EQ7

Thanks macfarm101. I so appreciate your quick answer. I will see if I can do this. My husband knows a little more than me so if I can't I will let him read this and he can try this evening.

Oh and a question. Do you scan the fabric you are planning to use in the quilt into excel or do you just put the same color?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Crystal; February 24th, 2014 at 06:16 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I do this all the time. I use Excel spreadsheets to figure out yardage, border widths and overall quilt dimensions. When I see a pattern, instead of buying it, I try to figure it out and Excel is a wonderful tool. When Jenny taught the tutorial - Sunny Skies, I made a Excel spreadsheet for my use. I have not made the quilt yet, but I am happy to yap about it.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I sure wish I could get the hang of it. I will one day I guess.