Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you design you quilt?

Hehehe Murphy. I do too but sometimes I just can't imagine it. I cut out the pieces and place where I want and don't like it after. Sometimes I wind up using completely different then have scraps/waste. Now I saw that the Bernina Embroidery software may do like EQ7 also. And I was wanting that software. Just can't justify spending $1500 for it. I did do it in Excel. Just takes a lot of time. But it is free, right? lol All I wanted was to be able to get the actual fabric I am thinking of using in the cell on my computer so I can preview it before buying and especially cutting.
    Happy quilting.
    Jholeah

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use MS Paint. It is quick-n-dirty but it is free if you use a windows PC.
    Loosely based on a true story.

3. Thanks Crystal thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I see a fabric, decide how much of it I can afford, and how I want to use it (D4P etc). I consider what I have at home to use with it. And then I picture it in my head and make it.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Well don't I feel silly. I have the Bernina Embroidery Software V5 Editor Plus and I just found that I can design a quilt in it. I have not had it long. And was watching a update to V6 for it and the lady selling was telling me about some video's that show you how to use the V6 software. Well I went look at mine and you would know know. It does it too. Hahahaha I tried it and ya hoo. I can do it. I can put my fabric in and see what it looks like. Would't you know it. I had it the whole time. Oh well. Live and learn.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not at all enjoy computer stuff, so I am a paper and pencil quilt designer.
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In order to do what you want in excel you would need to create macros and insert VBA code. It would take some time to set it up and your code would be pretty long depending on the number of pictures you would have. I would use graph paper before doing this - but hey that's just me.
    Thank you,

Ginny K

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have extra money for computer programs. I have a spiral notebook with sketches and lots of math problems. I use a lot of precuts so colors aren't such a big issue for me. It's amounts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Try Color matching for quilt. I typed in quilt on my android in the google playstore and that's what I came up with. It's actually pretty cool, but not complete as it should be. However it is free. I'm able to take pictures of my fabric and add it to the blocks. Hope that helps.

I'm not real android savy, so I mostly use powerpoint.
    Last edited by Vickie1965; March 5th, 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

um........back of an envelope, cereal packet, up my arm........depends where I am when an idea comes. then......... graph paper and felt tip pens.

I don't restrict myself as I am piecing though. Often a brainwave will come as I work and if the spirit moves me I don't argue. I will change things as I go very often.

I like my quilts to have a freedom of expression.......mine obviously lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I usually find a quilt pattern I like and then think of the colors I'd like, then I make it. I no longer have EQ7 because of a new computer and the software didn't transfer. I wouldn't have used it anyway as I am not a big fan of it.
    Joyce "She who dies with the most fabric wins!!"