Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prairie Pointer

Nashville, TN and where our airstream takes us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Quilters Cookie Exchange

I say we need to have a party. So lets have a virtual cookie exchange! I don't know about you, but I'm always looking for new cookie recipes to bake for the holidays (and everyday!).

Baking is my non-sewing "therapy"... I'll start off with what has become my signature cookie recipe... a buttery-rich candied ginger shortbread. These are great to munch on with a cup of tea while sewing...

Candied Ginger Shortbread Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
    1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt (I used salted butter so I omit the salt)
    3/4 cup finely chopped candied ginger

Cream butter, sugar and ground ginger until fluffy. Stir in flour and salt. Beat until just
    combined; beat in candied ginger. I take the dough and roll it into a log and wrap the log in parchment. Chill the dough until firm.

Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees F. Slice and bake cookies on parchment lined cookie sheet (I slice mine @ 1/4 inch).

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pale golden. Cool on wire racks.

Gift suggestion for your favorite quilter, make a holiday basket with a small goody bag of these baked cookies, some spiced tea, and a charm pack!
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilters Cookie Exchange

This is a great idea. I'm going to try a new recipe tonight and if it tastes delectable, I'll post the recipe.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cookie Question: Do they have to be holiday cookies, or just ones we like to eat? I have some that might fit both, but I thought I'd ask since others might have the same question.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Prairie Pointer

Nashville, TN and where our airstream takes us
    Post Thanks / Like

Cookie Question: Do they have to be holiday cookies, or just ones we like to eat? I have some that might fit both, but I thought I'd ask since others might have the same question.
    heck, cookies are cookies...
    anything's game...

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one for all of you who are trying to be a little healthier (but they’re still cookies – who are we kidding? )

1 cup butter flavored crisco shortening
    1 cup all natural peanut butter
    3/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 3/4 cups quick oats, uncooked
    1 1/4 cups raisins
    1 medium granny smith apple finely grated including juice
    1/3 cup finely grated carrot

preheat oven to 350 F

Combine 1 cup shortening, peanut butter, white, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer. Beat in eggs.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add gradually to shortening mixture. Beat until blended. Stir in oats, raisins, apple, and carrot. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet.

Bake for 9-11 minutes or until just browned around the edges. Cool and ENJOY!!

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

YUM I shall check back.. my eating has to be virtual too .. I'm off gluten for awhile .. that means no good stuff like cookies!!! waaaa. I am going to a cookie exchange at church this week end .. I suppose virtual cookies for that may not go over so well!
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

These cookies are sooooo cute and taste good too! I tried getting a picture to copy and past, but could not get it to work. You can look on the website and check them out. They would be good for getting together with your quilting friends. They are a little time consuming, but oh so cute. I made them last weekend and they were gone in no time. Niki (Niurka)

Patchwork Mitten Cookies
    These patchwork cookies warm hearts as surely as real mittens warm fingers.

Servings: about 18 cookies
    Prep: 1 hr
    Total: 2 hrs

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 3-ounce package cream cheese, softened
    1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    Paste food coloring

Directions
    1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour 2. Divide dough into five equal portions; place each portion in an individual bowl. Add desired paste food coloring to four portions, stirring or kneading until dough is evenly colored. Wrap each portion in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle. 3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of the dough at a time until 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 1-inch-wide strips with a fluted pastry wheel; cut dough strips into squares, diamonds, and triangles. Overlap dough pieces in groups of about 10 on an ungreased cookie sheet until the group of pieces is slightly larger than a 3-inch mitten-shaped cookie cutter. With the floured mitten-shaped cutter, cut out dough. (Reserve scraps; reroll to make marble cutouts.) 4. Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 8 to 9 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Makes about 18 cookies. To Store
    Layer between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

They are sooo cute, to save people looking them up:[attachment=0:1i1tk3t4]l_R136455.jpg[/attachment:1i1tk3t4]
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

so cute ...wow ..
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I love cookies! I'll go next! These are fantastic though also a little more thought and time than just dollop on the pan cookies (which I also love ) These are from my friends blog and every christmas now I have to make time to make and eat these!
    [attachment=0:3c5md464]PC040496_2.JPG[/attachment:3c5md464]
    Peanut Butter Munchies
    1.5 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Combine flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and 1/4 cup peanut butter with an electric mixer until combined. Add egg, milk and vanilla;beat well. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remaining flour mixture by hand. Form chocolate dough into 32 balls (1- 1/4 inch) Set aside.

In a medium bowl, stir together powdered sugar and remaining 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use more!) until smooth. Shape into 32 (3/8 inch) balls.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To form a peanut-butter filled chocolate ball, slightly flatten a chocolate dough ball and top with a peanut butter ball. Shape the choc. dough over the filling, completely covering the filling. Roll into a ball. Repeat.

Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Lightly flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.

Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until just set and surface is slightly cracked. Let cookies stand for 1 minute; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.